4 stroke vs 2 stroke

P

paintvalleymusic

My concern over the smaller engines is the db level...especially the 2 strokes. I really don't want a giant mosquito following me everywhere....which is what some of the smaller engines sound like. Maybe the technology is out there that makes these little engines quiet, but I haven't really seen it. Noise levels are a concern to me, since I'm trying to advance the cause of small engines in my area. If they are loud and annoying, we won't get the average person to buy into the technology. Any pointers out there? Thanks

I found the stock exhaust to be pretty quiet
I heard the engine and gears over exhaust
even after cutting baffle, It is still hard to hear anything from pipe over the purr and whine of bike

i constantly ask for opinions...concensus around here is it's pretty much the quietest functional motor vehicle going 8)

I bought a 4-stroke GEBE engine because of their reputation for being quiet. It is fairly quiet but I would prefer it to be quieter because I ride through my neighbor hood at 5:30am and part of my commute is on a greenway trail system (No Motorized Vehicles Allowed). I called GEBE and purchased an add-on muffler that is said to be so quiet it creates problems with pedestrians hearing the bike coming. I'll post again once I have it installed but it sounds like it will probably work well for me.

I am at the same crossroads OP. The choice for me from Golden Eagle is between the Robin EHO 35cc or the Tanaka 32cc. In his ad copy, Dennis states the Tanaka 32 is 2dBA quieter than the 35cc Robin when both are at 27~28mph. I want to order this Wendsday...*sigh*
I guess I'll email GEBE and inquior...about the aux muffle too. I want to ride the flood control channels here w/o scaring the sea birds or waterfowl or alerting "the man".

Fearing "the man" myself.....which is why I thought of putting a small 4 stroke in a trailer (hidden) and having the trailer push me. Out of sight, out of mind.....plus you can unhook it if you want to, plus use it to haul your lunch and briefcase, etc. Some of these small 4 stroke Honda's are $200. Of course, they are too big to mount on a bicycle.....but a trailer or tagalong would work great. What does everyone think?

No one needs/wants a trailer pushing them, that's why many trailers have a surge brake master cyclinder built into their hitch. It only applies the trailer brakes when the unit wants to get ahead of the towing vehical.

I MUST be legal with my motored bike because it will be used for real transportation. Here in CA the operator must be > 16yo, I'm 60. Operator must have a M-2 CDL cert, that will be done. Motor must be under 50cc and < 2hp. That can be done with the Tanaka 33 or the Robin 35. Exhaust MUST NOT be modified. I hate noise, I had enough riding real motorcycles for many years. New micro-motors sold here MUST meet the C.A.R.B. II cert, both the above comply.
Our rivers here are paved with concrete, we call them flood control channels. The bank tops offer wide bike paths that are nearly deserted on week days :cool: :D . THAT is why I need extra quiet.

Read your State and local laws carefully. Make copies to carry with you. Cal DMV 406 A&B and 4020 are already in my printer tray. :) [/b]

2 VS 4

Both 2 and 4 strokes are very quite for sure. Very... You talk over the motors at idle with ease. Under load, the 4 stoke transmission becomes a loud noise maker for sure !! That is one of the biggest draw backs to my 4 stroke. After the noise comes the size and weight. so..If you can get over the loud trannie noise, the large size and weight..then..Go with a 4 stroke. If you want power, light weight, and more quite, then the 2 stroke is the way to go for now..Thanks..Enjoy the ride..

Which two engines are you comparing?

I still think a little pusher of some type is worth a try. Doesn't have to be complicated and could help carry loads. Yes, for sheer maneuverability's sake, go for the mounted engine, but where hauling groceries or anything of size is concerned......this pusher might work for us country folk.

Keep the tips coming.........pro and con.

Thanks

I have a 4-cycle 35cc Robin-Subaru engine, and the noise is more than I care for as well. The engine is a small garden-equipment type, and to keep the overall package compact there's not much room for a muffler on it. The exhaust now sticks straight out the right side, and when I go by a building or vehicle I can hear the engine really well.

I had begun making a giant muffler for it--but When I get it fitted to the destination bike, I may just try clamping a short bent piece of tubing onto the exhaust pipe, aiming upwards at the sky and tilted back at an angle (20 deg from vertical or so). Most of the exhaust noise that's annoying is the higher-frequencies, and those only radiate in one direction.
~

Back