4-stroking with plug pics...

I am guessing I’m a bit lean on the low end. When still warming up, I get a bit of hesitation on low throttle low speed acceleration. After a few minutes, it gets a bit better. It feels like low end 4 stroking, but I’. Expect it to be lean not rich. Still not perfect, so I’m gonna try a 66 jet when it shows up. Still, this is a completely different bike.

I am no longer worried about the engine or speed. Now I’m worried about the brakes.
I know, my first bike was 4 stroking like crazy, once I put a #60 in, the engine totally woke up, it was like you said: a whole new engine! I was so happy I took it out and burned an entire tank through it, the thing was just flying, I couldn't believe the difference. Yeah, get some brakes man!

I took it for a nice cruise earlier. When its warmed up, the misses and backfires are minimal. I think its almost perfectly tuned. Its amazing on the high rpms. Just keeps going.

I’m also getting used to the exhaust. I put some tape on it so I don’t get burned. I also had a Lamborgini go by work today. It sounds a lot like my bike. Lol.

I know, my first bike was 4 stroking like crazy, once I put a #60 in, the engine totally woke up, it was like you said: a whole new engine! I was so happy I took it out and burned an entire tank through it, the thing was just flying, I couldn't believe the difference. Yeah, get some brakes man!
What elevation are you at or does your bike have mods that allow for such a lean jet? I'm asking because I am running a 65 @ 3850 feet. I don't have a 60 but if it will do even better than the 65 does... But I'm also worried about going too lean. If your jet is too lean will it react like an air leak or will it just run like a Lambo until it siezes up?

I took it for a nice cruise earlier. When its warmed up, the misses and backfires are minimal. I think its almost perfectly tuned. Its amazing on the high rpms. Just keeps going.

I’m also getting used to the exhaust. I put some tape on it so I don’t get burned. I also had a Lamborgini go by work today. It sounds a lot like my bike. Lol.
Your post puts a smile on my face. Every time I figure out my bike wasn't running as good as I thought it was I can't get off it. When I originally put on the Dellorto carb it became almost no fun at all to ride because of it running rich. I even bought jets but the smallest one was a 70 and it didn't help. (I think mine came with an 80 stock) After a couple weeks I learned why my NT carb wasn't working, swapped it out and wow what fun. Found a 65 jet on Amazon and ordered that, and it ran like a kitten. I cruise at 1/3 throttle about 22 MPH on a 36 tooth sprocket. I'm scared to go fast. Using my speedo app the fastest I've gotten is 28 MPH and at that speed I didn't feel safe.

Right now I can't imagine my bike being any better but it always surprises me. Kind of the opposite of marriage.

Last edited:
I am guessing I’m a bit lean on the low end. When still warming up, I get a bit of hesitation on low throttle low speed acceleration. After a few minutes, it gets a bit better. It feels like low end 4 stroking, but I’. Expect it to be lean not rich. Still not perfect, so I’m gonna try a 66 jet when it shows up. Still, this is a completely different bike.

I am no longer worried about the engine or speed. Now I’m worried about the brakes.

Piston ported 2 cycles engines have a low end bog problem sometimes if not optimally carburetored. The DellOrto clones used for mopeds and our HT engines will show this problem.

What I've noticed with my 48cc engine and a Yamaha PW50 carb, is if I raise the needle circlip I lose about 500 RPM off the bottom RPM, so I have to pedal up to 8 mph while feathering in the clutch before the engine hooks up, otherwise it just "waaa-a-a-a-ahh" while the mixture isn't rich enough to fire. With the circlip in the middle I find at any throttle above 3/4's the engine 4 strokes. I'm fine with this as I'd rather the engine be running cool with a little wastage of extra gas.

There's apparently an emulsion tube mod or special main jet/emulsion tube for piston ported engines for the Mikunis and their clone carbs, that has a small "dam" on one side of the orifice the metering needle drops into. It deflects the reverse flow at low RPM so the carb isn't spraying excess gas out of itself

Piston ported engines have a lot of reverse flow out of the intake manifold when at low RPM's. Some might notice this as the spray that come out of the NT carb when you leave the air-filter off.

Last edited:
That would be the "AU" vs "AN" replaceable bushings/atomizers the Dellortos can use

Here is the AU vs AN bushing the atomizer tube screws into

The one on the left utilizes one of 3 potential AU atomizers (they have different inside diameters for fuel flow) which looks like this:

Where the AN bushing utilizes the AN atomizers (which also have 3 sizes) which look like this:

The AU is for 2 strokes and the AN is for 4 strokes. The semicircle on the AU bushing helps mitigate the detrimental effects of air flowing backwards through the carburetor on non-reed piston port 2 stroke engines. Whereas on the AN bushing/atomizer there is no barrier needed and there are also added emulsion holes which allow air to mix into the fuel before going into the carburetor throat, this is to address mid rpm fueling issues that 4 strokes can encounter.

If you look at the bushings the AN atomizer has the threads above the hole where the AU has the holes below the hole. This is for a tiny little (~3mm) air inlet that has air either flow up around the atomizer nozzle which enhances the barrier effect of the bushing (AU) or it has air flow down and into holes in the atomizer tube to mix with the fuel before entering the carburetor throat (AN).

If you get a cheap PHBG clone there is a good chance it'll come with AN parts which will making tuning very difficult if not impossible. When buying PHBG carbs it is a MUST to find a vendor that states what jets/needles/atomizers come installed.

Honestly, unless your a masochist, avoid the PHBGs. Sure they can outperform a vm18 when tuned right (and a high quality 21mm PHBG racing clone can be had for under $30) but getting one tuned right is a huge pain in the ass and requires a lot of time fiddling with it.

You have roughly 4 pilot jets, 10-20 needles, 4 needle clip positions, 20+ main jets, 4 slides, and 3 atomizer tubes to choose from to get your tune on point. At minimum thats roughly 38,000 combos. At the very least to get one roughly in tune you'd want 2-3 pilot jets and 5-10 main jets or some solder and a $5 amazon micro drill bit set to drill out the jets to whatever size you need.

Then to get it fully on you'd want to find the best needle for your setup as they control your mixture from ~20-80% throttle.

Last edited:
Your post puts a smile on my face. Every time I figure out my bike wasn't running as good as I thought it was I can't get off it. When I originally put on the Dellorto carb it became almost no fun at all to ride because of it running rich. I even bought jets but the smallest one was a 70 and it didn't help. (I think mine came with an 80 stock) After a couple weeks I learned why my NT carb wasn't working, swapped it out and wow what fun. Found a 65 jet on Amazon and ordered that, and it ran like a kitten. I cruise at 1/3 throttle about 22 MPH on a 36 tooth sprocket. I'm scared to go fast. Using my speedo app the fastest I've gotten is 28 MPH and at that speed I didn't feel safe.

Right now I can't imagine my bike being any better but it always surprises me. Kind of the opposite of marriage.

so you went straight for the 65 from the stock 70 and you hit gold? imbuying the 65-to-70 set of jets from bicyclemotorworks, and im starting it off with the 65. this frikkin motor wont lean out. lowered float, put needle To max lean, even modded my muffler. still 4-stroking like a pig. I even came off my break-in mix after 2 gallons got sucked thru and now im on that thin opti-2 stuff. but its still 4 stroking. im tired,...im going for the jets.

Back