4 stroking

mony0_3

Local time
9:42 PM
My bikes seem to 4 stroke at wide open throttle now that we have changed to winter fuel. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? I'm waiting on my smaller jets to arrive to see if that helps.

Winter fuel? Where do you live and what does winter fuel have in it? I live in MN and we have different diesels for winter but I've never heard of winter gasoline.

Alabama, we have winter and summer blend fuel. All my cars now have chalkly tail pipes instead of black sooty ones in summer.
I did jet my carb down to a #65 and it runs fine.

Winter fuel is more pure gasoline, they put additives in gasoline in many states during the summer months to reduce pollution.
One of the key additives used in winter fuel blend is butane, (The URL below will explain this), I just filled my gas can yesterday evening here in Alamogordo NM, Waaaaay down south about 1.5 hrs drive from the Mexican border, and i remarked to the store attendents that they must have just got their supply of winter blend...They were a little shocked that i knew that and told me they just got it this afternoon before i arrived and how did i know?.

Answer was quite simple, a keen sense of smell, i could smell the butane additive...lol...DAMIEN

Fuel is blended with different vapor pressures to work best in different temperatures, and altitudes.
One size dont fit all.

Back in 80s with carb motors, if you drove to colorado and hit mtns with flat land gas in tank, you might have vapor locking problems and barely even be able to run.

@berdomb, Vapor lock is when fuel over heats and vaporizes in the fuel system disrupting the correct air fuel mix in Carb or fuel injection.

If you went to Colorado before 1988 Maybe your car was overheating climbing the mountains in Colorado causing Vapor lock.
Or it was something as simple as a dirty air filter at Higher Altitude.

Colorado was the first state to use Blended summer and winter gas in 1988. Maybe when ya filled up in Colorado your car freaked out.

Blended fuels were first used across the USA in 1995. Today there is probably over 20 different fuel blends in the USA.
Blended Fuels reduce CO2 emissions.

Last edited:
@berdomb, Vapor lock is when fuel over heats and vaporizes in the fuel system disrupting the correct air fuel mix in Carb or fuel injection.

If you went to Colorado before 1988 Maybe your car was overheating climbing the mountains in Colorado causing Vapor lock.
Or it was something as simple as a dirty air filter at Higher Altitude.

Colorado was the first state to use Blended summer and winter gas in 1988. Maybe when ya filled up in Colorado your car freaked out.

Blended fuels were first used across the USA in 1995. Today there is probably over 20 different fuel blends in the USA.
Blended Fuels reduce CO2 emissions.

Fuel has been blended for Reid vapor pressure as far back as I can remember. And it changes seasonally and geographically. I worked in a refinery in 1988... The gasoline test for Reid vapor pressure was developed back around 1920. The blending indexes used today were mostly developed by Chevron in the 1970s.

I think what you're mostly referring to is the EPA limits imposed by the clean Air act.... That limited vapor pressure in the summer to reduce smog and ozone. Most of that came in around 1990. This what's the same time that oxygenates started appearing in fuel too, and required changes in ways to measure vapor pressure. The CAA established summer rvp limits. but fuel is always been blended for vapor pressure, and it's blended from more than a dozen feedstocks. The fuel you get in one area at one time a year is not necessarily the same as the fuel that you get in a colder area or a higher altitude area at the same time of year. It varies. in Colorado the RVP of fuel can vary from 7.8 in the summer to 15 in deep winter. It gets progressively higher as winter progresses.

the problems are virtually non-existent today because very few carbureted engines are left on the road, but having a high vapor pressure fuel at altitude used to be a big problem. Has nothing to do with engine overheating. Engine compartments are warm, carburetors run at atmospheric pressure. the atmospheric pressure is sea level is way different from the atmospheric pressure at 12,000 ft.

http://haneperformance.com/techtips5.html#:~:text=The problem at this time and altitude in Colorado.&text=The higher the altitude, the,starving the engine for fuel.

Last edited:
Still very much a problem today for people with carburetors in the mountains.
Excerpt from full size Jeep forum....

Re: Vapor Lock
Post by fulsizjeep » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:06 am

There is a lot can be said about vapor lock. Most folks don't recognize it at first. Some refuse to believe it actually happened to them.

I put an electric pump on my 88 GW in 1998. I was moving back to south Florida, towing a trailer in the summer. It eased my mind. When I moved to Colorado in 2001 I was also towing a Uhaul. Stopped to visit mom in Silver City and knew I'd be crossing some mountains but didn't think much about it until it happened. I thought the pump had quit at first. After 30 minutes on the side of the road, I realized I was in the Vapor Lock Zone. After another 30 minutes, it was cool enough to run but started crapping out a mile later. I could run high revs so I got over the rest of the mountain in low range at 25 mph. I got into Luna, NM and it quit again. This time the pump did quit. It was oozing black stuff out of the seams. I was amazed there was a parts store there and got another pump just like the one I had. The rest of the trip went fine.

There were a lot of FSJs at Ouray for the first Invasion in 2002. The count I had was 99 FSJs. Vapor lock was probably the most wide spread issue for folks. On one trail ride, there were two GWs that were identical and mostly stock. One vapor locked so bad we basically sent them back down the mountain. The other GW ran fine. Even the infamous River Beast could not get to top of Imogene.

In the Spring of 2008, I had to replace the stock fuel pump on our 76 Wagoneer. This was the last Jeep we had without electric pump. When the weather started to warm up, the 401 started to vapor lock on the highway at 7000 feet when it was only 85 degrees. That Jeep never vapor locked before that. We struggled with it until I put an electric pump on it. The fuel was boiling in the stock pump. I took it back to NAPA and they would not refund or replace it because I could not prove my claim. I talked to the NAPA owner next time I was there and found out "that guy" got fired.

I have seen so much vapor locking out of FSJs that I am kind of amused by it now. Each case seems a little different too.

Back