4 wheel motorized bike project?

Antonio3

Local time
4:11 PM
So i saw some time ago i saw someone making a 4 wheeled electric bike,so i tought of doing the same but with either a 2stroke/4stroke engine mounted on a a 4 wheel bike and build a cover on it so its looks coler
Tough i have no engineering/mechanic skills so its gonna be pretty hard,Any tips or anything how i could do it?I posted 2 photos down below so yu would understand what i mean.

This will be a cop magnet. FYI, just make sure its legal and you might want to give your local cops and a few jurisdictions over that you made it; it is legally a motorized bike or whatnot. The guys on velomobiles get stopped all the time. This would be no different and probably worse.

I dont want to discourage u from doing it but this is my impressions of it. just want to make sure you are squared away with an unintended consequence of the bike.

4 wheels makes it a vehicle, in Texas that would mean insurance and registration or it is not legal on the streets.

Ahh man. Back in the 80's when I was a boy scout, I saw some "bike car" plans in Boy's Life magazine. $5.99, 12 pages. I bought em.

Being an aspiring gearhead, I researched the heck out of building one of them. I wanted a bike car like Billy Colman wanted coonhounds. Well, like Billy, I eventually acquired a sad face. Unlike Billy I never accomplished what I wanted. See, by most states' vehicular code, a 4-sheeled pedal car is actually an automobile, and illegal on the street because it can't be registered or insured. It requires both.

Vehicular law is an interesting, often head-scratching thing, kind to some layouts and unkind to others. Bike cars is one of those things that looks like it should be perfectly legal, a reasonable way to travel, but is totally frowned upon by the donkeychasms that say yay or nay.

Last edited:
what about a 4 wheel independently bodied but they connect with 2 axles that separate into 2 vehicles,, two 2-wheelers? or connect 2 bikes side by side and they retain each set of pedals, but one has the drivetrain?
lol be enterprising and take advantage of bicycle laws

Put training wheels on a bike. Most laws specifically mention 2 or 3 wheels as a motorcycle.

In my once the motorized bicycle issue is covered by the various state legislatures, most of them will be mopeds with engine size limitations., and will require state mandated inspections. The first motorcycles were bicycles with motors, no different than adding a Chinese motor or Briggs and Stratton to a bicycle.

well like in Ohio, they have add'l clauses to kind of classify what you have to be a legal mab. pedals of course, <50cc + 20mph max + 1.5hp so you can't just put pedals on a suped up 50cc minibike and gear your monstrosity down to meet a limitation
ebikes I think are limited to 750W

Back