Tubes 40 miles to my first flat tire! Discouraging!

Well...very SORE HANDS AND FINGERS this morning...I was only able to get the front tire and wheel done in about 1.5 hours. The solid tube is a great idea, but DAMMMMMMMN! It's not easy to get on...

I finally came up with a good method...unfortunately, the instructions want you to work with 2 flatheads and a phillips as the anchor in the stem hole... That was OK to get the tube into the tire, and onto the rim...gettling the last tire bead on required a lot of patience and elbow-grease! I was about to give up, and then decided to try and work with 3 flatheads at the same time...That made all the difference! I would insert the first one, pry it onto the rim, then dip the tip of the next flathead into soapy water (important so you don't pull the last section out when you remove it), and insert about 2-3 inches further down the tire...then the third again 2-3 inches...then pull the first...so that there's always 2 inside the tire holding it on. You need to keep continual pressure on the 2 while you're moving the third, otherwise it pops out and you start over.

I had to drive to work this morning :( but I'll take off early and finish up the rear tire late this afternoon.

The tires are smaller and thinner: 26x1.75, Kevlar, Comfort tread. Hopefully I'll be good now. I also think that with a bit smaller diameter tire, the motor can wind out a bit more since I'm running at lower speeds anyway. Should smooth out the ride and provide a bit more torque, too.

We'll see...I'm holding off on the scooter for another few days.. :)

Thanks,
Mark

OK, after a 3 hour fight with the rear tire, I got the tire and No-More-Flats on...well about 98%. There's a 1 inch section that no matter how many times I tuck it in with the flathead, pops right out a second later.

My hands are SO sore! I hope someone can tell me an easy way to fix this cause I'm REALLY stumped.

Heeeeeeellllllllpppppp!

I know what the problem is...just need to figure out how to fix: The solid tube is tear-drop shaped if you look at the cross-section, where the skinnier side goes to the rim, fatter side to the tires. It's bulging because somehow the tube got a bit twisted about 30 degrees or so. It's almost impossible to get the tire back off, hard to take more than 2-3 inches out of the rim to find some wiggle room (without damaging anything). My rims are all scratched up from my efforts, dammit.

I need 4 arms and 6 hands for this! :)

I'll hopefully wake up in the morning with a better idea :)
Mark

FYI - went with a Bell super-duper tube on the rear, and put on 15 miles today...I'm happy so far...but when I got home, I did put a bit more pressure in...it seemed a little wobbly at higher speeds...I suspect more pressure will stiffen the sidewalls. (Felt like it was going flat, but it was good.) I'll go from 28psi to 35psi and see how that feels in the am.

I'm glad I worked out the issues, because bidding on this bike on eBay is already up to $430...and there's 28 watchers!

So I'll probably sell it, and then the plan is to get a mtn. bike with shock body and shocks on the front forks, and buy a Dax 4-stroke, and rack mount it. I'll put different handlebars on it so I can sit up straight and be comfy.

If I don't sell it (I'm thinking shipping may become a final deterrant), fine, I really like it now - so I'm in a win-win situation. I've got about $480 into it with all the tires, tubes, etc.

Thanks all for your help - I'm going to stick with motored bikes for a while instead of buying a scoot, I think.

Mark

Well if you do sell it, I hope you build another one. Maybe someday we can organize a ride here in FL. like other states, like maybe around Lake Okeechobee (that would be cool).
Oh and by the way I am one of the 28 watchers.

:)
I'm DEFINITELY building another right away.

Why didn't you PM me - I'd have given it to you for what I have into it...about $430 + today's purchase...

I'll cancel the auction for you if you want it, since you've been so helpful - let me know.
Mark

Oh no sorry I was just watching the auction out of curiosity. I dont need another GAS powered motored bike. My next will be an electric to put on my other mountain bike, but the kit I want is around $1000. and I am trying to justify it. I hope it sells (if thats what u want). Look forward to your next project. Always glad to help a fellow motor biker....

I'm using the original tubes and tires that came with my bike. I really like these tires because they are slicks in th middle and nubby on the sides. Smooth tire reduces rolling friction. I also have it at 65psi the max that the tire says. I keep TWO slime tubes, rim liners, and a hand pump that can pump up to 125psi. Maybe you can see the tires in my flickr gallery
My Tires look like this but they are made by Kenda.... I would highly recommend these types of tires to anyone.

Last edited:
Back