Tubes 40 miles to my first flat tire! Discouraging!

I'm using the original tubes and tires that came with my bike. I really like these tires because they are slicks in th middle and nubby on the sides. Smooth tire reduces rolling friction. I also have it at 65psi the max that the tire says. I keep TWO slime tubes, rim liners, and a hand pump that can pump up to 125psi. Maybe you can see the tires in my flickr gallery
My Tires look like this but they are made by Kenda.... I would highly recommend these types of tires to anyone.

Ha! What a neat looking tire!

Anyone who's ridden bicycle on California streets knows about all the glass and whatnot, not to mention screws and nails everywhere...

Back in high school, I had a trusty '86 Diamond Back Ascent MTB that I rode 150+ miles weekly, rain or shine, off-road and on. Before the frame broke at the rear dropout in '94, I had put over 40k miles odometer-indicated on it with only 5 flats. 3 of those flats were tire-fraggers from unseen nightime nasties while riding. Tires were at 50psi.

From '95 to '00, I had a '95 Schwinn Cruiser Six, which I rode an odometer-indicated 32k miles before it was (very cleverly) stolen. Only 2 flats on that beautiful bike, one was a tire-fragger. That bike never strayed off-road and tires were 28-30psi.

I'm approaching 2k miles on my motored '05 Schwinn Alloy Seven and haven't seen a flat yet. I just started riding heavily again, now up to 200 miles a week for the last 2 weeks. Like my previous 2 mile-eaters, I only need to add a few psi every 2-3 weeks, keeping it around 30psi.

My method? Nothing but old-school thorn-resistant 26x2.125 tubes, 8-10oz of slime per, and a keen eye for glass and steel banding material ( :mad: ). Sure, I get a few Predator-blood-looking bleeders here and there, but as long as you keep that tire rolling, the Slime will do it's job for the most part!

Back