415 motorcycle chain

The ybn iso 9001 chain is gold and can bend it in my hands but the kmc chain no way both fit stock bike kmc rubs little bit on clutch cover.

Just for information's sake, I measured my KMC 415H chain with my dial caliper.

Maximum height of link: 0.467" (11.9 MM)
Maximum width of link: 0.512" (13 MM)
master link max width: 0.580" (14.7 MM)

Unfortunately I do not have any standard 415 anymore. Maybe someone can measure it to compare?

Last edited:
Attached is a comparison I made of my 2 chains. #41 vs #415 bike chains.jpg Today I ordered a Nickle Plated 415h off eBay! Nickel Plated 415H.jpg

I don't think your measurements are correct, jhammond... There are 25.4 MM in 1 inch, as you likely know. 50.5 MM is nearly 2 inches!

I updated my previous post with Metric figures.

My mistake, the measurements were actually #415 chain .505 inches & the #41 chain was .5255 inches. I have deleted the picture from my album and will replace with the proper accounting. Thanks!

Jimmy H.

Sorry for the error in the earlier posting of the chain dimensions. I am attaching a picture with my corrected measurements.#41 vs #415 bike chains-corrected.jpg. I have just ordered a Nickel Plated 415H and will make the switch if it measures the same!

Jimmy H.

on chains, one measures the pitch (distance pin to pin) and the width (distance between inside of narrowest side plates)

415 is 4/8in by 1.5/8in (or 3/16in)

Heck, I think most direct drive MB's are fine with 410 chain, Skyhawks came that for years.
Shifter use even thinner 7-speed chain and for the most part with proper shifting technique hold up.

I find 415 chain overkill but deal with it because of stock sprocket width and #41 to be just silly, like a tanker anchor chain on a dingy.

OK in a pinch or when dealing with a big engine (got a 79cc pred with Q-matic that demands a 41 in the bay), but otherwise just wasted weight and noise.

In my option and we would be much better off if engine kits got back to HD 410 sprocket widths for everything.
Having to grind covers and such just to fit a chain that is bigger than needed is just plain silly.

OTOH, the number of noobs snapping 415H chain kinda makes one wish for a hefty 530 solution

Back