420 Chain for 66cc bike

Tony01

Generally speaking, 2 digit chains are for slow industrial purposes, 3 digit chains are for powersports. Buy a quality 415 or the $20 version 420 from your local MC shop. 41 chain is crap.

Tyler6357

Generally speaking, 2 digit chains are for slow industrial purposes, 3 digit chains are for powersports. Buy a quality 415 or the $20 version 420 from your local MC shop. 41 chain is crap.
The Wippermann 1R8 chain is a BMX chain that is 1/2 x 1/8. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It has nickle plated reinforced links, it is not crap.

FNTPuck

41 chain is popular on gokarts that make triple the hp and double the RPM of a motorized bicycle all the while being installed in heavier vehicles. It is cheap, light, and lasts forever.

Not exactly "crap"...its better than a 415 in every way.

Tony01

41 chain is popular on gokarts that make triple the hp and double the RPM of a motorized bicycle all the while being installed in heavier vehicles. It is cheap, light, and lasts forever.

Not exactly "crap"...its better than a 415 in every way.
No, 35 chain is the most popular on karts, followed by 219, followed by shifters that run 530... I worked in a karting shop and I’ve never seen a 41 on anything with an engine. we didn’t even sell 41. You are probably thinking of 40 chain which is much heavier duty than 41 and sized for a thicker sprocket.

The Wippermann 1R8 chain is a BMX chain that is 1/2 x 1/8. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It has nickle plated reinforced links, it is not crap.
That would be a 410 chain. Too thin inside.

Last edited:

CrazyDan

I run a shift kit and the torque is outrageous on the chain from the jackshaft to the pedals. 41, 415 and 420 are not an option because of clearances. I stretched out chain after chain till I came across kmc h710. I don't run the halflink version, although I should have. I have 0 chain issues now.
Too thin my ass. You might be talking from experience from 30 years ago. There are some hella beefy 410 chains out there now. If I ever have issues with my 710 chain (also a 410) then I'm trying out one of the connex chains made for ebikes.

FNTPuck

No, 35 chain is the most popular on karts, followed by 219, followed by shifters that run 530... I worked in a karting shop and I’ve never seen a 41 on anything with an engine. we didn’t even sell 41. You are probably thinking of 40 chain which is much heavier duty than 41 and sized for a thicker sprocket.

No clue where your karting shop is but I have never seen any kart or custom fab shop NOT sell 41 chain. There are a lot of 41 chains in motorsports and some of the most popular brands like manco and yerf both have karts that come stock with 41 chain.

"#35, 40, 41, 420 and 50 chain are used on American Go Karts and Mini Bikes. "

I use 41 chain on a big bore briggs with 16ft-lbs of TQ and a 40 series torque converter that hits HARD and no issues. Better clearance on the wide tire than 415, while also being stronger. Damn thing wants to twist the frame on the hit even with all the reinforcements but the chain holds fine and hasn't warped or stretched.

For a 2stroke, there are plenty of 410 chains that are more than strong enough. You want the lightest chain that can handle your power - heavier is just more rotating mass and parasitic loss. I raced 1000cc literbikes and a common mod is to go DOWN in chain size from a 530 to a 520, which will show an actual hp increase on the dyno of ~2hp on a ZX10r.

Tony01

I use 41 chain on a big bore briggs with 16ft-lbs of TQ and a 40 series torque converter that hits HARD and no issues. Better clearance on the wide tire than 415, while also being stronger. Damn thing wants to twist the frame on the hit even with all the reinforcements but the chain holds fine and hasn't warped or stretched.

~2hp on a ZX10r.
For some reason cans of worms opened on this site are always full of nuclear superworms. So you got that bike running finally?

I talk only from my own experience. I have run the sh*t out of 41, 420, and a a couple 420H. Maybe you guys are buying some quality chain that is called 41. Most things for these bikes are crap, and most people’s experiences are probably not the same as yours.

But inside width is a thing. And rollers. And you have to run the size for your sprockets. I have never messed with a CG long enough to know what the output sprocket width is. But here’s what I know about 41

The 41 I have seen and bought is crap. And I’m not trying to spend 30 dollars or more on a damn chain. $20 works great. We are not talking racing. We are talking reliability and cost. I have run $20 420 for years on a kit sprocket.

IIRC most 1/2” pitch stuff was go karts that ran 40 and small block minibike stuff that would get 420 if it got a new chain.

Last edited: