420 Chain for 66cc bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip Bricker

Local time
9:14 AM
Can I use a 420 chain for my 66cc motoriuzed bike, it had a 415 size on it when I bought bike.

Can I use a 420 chain for my 66cc motoriuzed bike, it had a 415 size on it when I bought bike.
The pitch is the same so it should be OK on the sprocket, but the width is wider so I would be concerned about clearance inside the front sprocket cover. 420 is a stronger chain, but also heavier than a 415.

#41 is cheaper, stronger, and lighter than 415h and will work fine though if you are looking for an upgrade.

The thing is you don't have to do a cover modification with the #41 chain, why would you go for a heavier chain?

The thing is you don't have to do a cover modification with the #41 chain, why would you go for a heavier chain?
Exactly...

#41 is smaller, lighter, stronger, AND cheaper than a 415 chain so I don't see any reason at all to run a 420 chain that will likely need mods to fit and be heavier than the chain it is replacing. There are 20+hp gokarts using #41 chain (and even smaller) with no issues so a ~4hp chinagirl is no sweat.

This is a pic I took of a #41 next to a 415H. The weight difference is noticable, and it fits better inside the front sprocket housing. Being stronger and cheaper is nice as well of course! Only "downside" is that your chain alignment needs to be perfect since it doesn't have as much wiggleroom for uneven sprockets or poor engine>wheel alignment.

I run a 420 chain on my 69 Honda Cub scooter, it's pretty heavy duty even with a 9 hp 125 cc pit bike engine..

Cubster#1.jpg

I optioned for the 415H Motorycle/scooter chain.
It was 19.95 when i got it, and it was a pain to work but it hasn't snapped and it has been put on two 2t motors already. I ordered it because of the strength and it was the same size as standard gas kit chains, only 5x sturdier.

I recommend using a strong BMX chain. The smaller chain will flow through the engine sprocket with less drag than the bulky 415 or 410. Just make sure you get a strong one, if you use a standard 41, the chain will eventually start to twist. I'm using this Wippermann Connex 1R8---> https://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-1r8.html
I had globbed some grease in my sprocket cover but now thinking it will become a dirt magnet so I'll probably go with the 41. Also, the master link on 415 hits on the idler pulley if not adjusted perfectly. Thanks for sharing the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back