420 MILE CROSS STATE HAPPY TIME TRIP (help)

My point is there is a lot to be learned from failures and other people's mistakes from reading a forum board. My impression is that the rider who is attemping the trip is not very mechanically inclined and this is a great place to better yourself in that area. I hope the gentleman is getting as much info as he possibly can about his bike motor. If he can do it through his friend, that's great! I was just making a plug for this website and forum.

I applaud his friend for trying to help and I hope his knowledge does rub off on his friend and his trip is successful. I've got faith in him and his friend but less faith in the happy time engine. Quality is so variable and the strangest failures can occur at almost random times.

Last edited:
Some more snobby exclusivity persepctive tips:

If it were me:

1. Dampin the vibes from motor in the handlebar area by filling handlebars with lead shot.

2. Foam grips on handlebars to reduce vibes to hands. Some HT engines vibrate so much that 20 minutes of riding will cause hands to go numb.

3. Beg, borrow, steal or buy one of Pablo's jackshafts. Having the functionality of multiple gears will allow comfortable cruising rpms and gearing for hill climbing.

4. Side view mirrors.

5. Spare battery or solar power charger for cell phone.

6. Portable GPS or compass.

7. Spare fuel or rack mounted 1 gallon fuel tank for extended range. Dax once had fuel tank for a rear rack and an under top frame bar 1 gallon fuel tank.

8. Smaller sprocket for faster speeds and lower rpms on the road.

9. Contact info for MB'ers along his route who can help if he breaks down.

10. Reflector vest or something on him and bike to make him more noticeable to the 17 year old girl texting on her cell phone while driving.

11. Carry a fair amount of cash.

12. Calling card?

13. Bug spay and sunscreen

14. OTC pain medications (Tylenol or Ibuprofen)

15. Spare nuts/bolts (cover bolts for clutch over and magneto just in case)

16. Spare CDI and magneto...they have been known to fail. I actually do carry a spare CDI wtih me on long rides but dont' carry a spare magneto since I hadn't had one of those fail on me yet.

17. Spare fuel tubing and fuel filter. If he hasnt' removed the inline fuel filter on the petcock gas valve, spare fuel tubing may allow him to blow it out if it ever becomes clogged.

18. wet weather gear

All I can think of for now. I'd highly recommend he do some test rides to see if he has the endurance.

Ok, this guy just left....Godspeed to him hes leavin in the middle of the night, loaded down.

What a character....

Insane is right...you would have to meet him...ha.

He has a machete strapped across his back pack, 2 gallons of gas, a small pack and sleeping bag.

what a site! i'm not sure I would try and avoid being stopped by Texas State Troopers by strapping a machete to my back. His girlfriend is my neighbor and I went over and took this picture.

Attachments

• HPIM3820.JPG
    HPIM3820.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 319
He either has more balls than me, or he doesn't have to be anywhere any time soon..... or both!!!! Either way, he is cool in my book!!!

Some combination of balls, insanity and too much free time. Not quite sure how much of each yet...

Pulling out of the Rocky mountains at midnight on a green moon dog headed towards the deserts of east New Mexico and West Texas....

better him than me.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some combination of balls, insanity and too much free time. Not quite sure how much of each yet...

Pulling out of the Rocky mountains at midnight on a green moon dog headed towards the deserts of east New Mexico and West Texas....

better him than me.

:)

That sounds like about 60% insanity, 30% balls, and 10% too much free time lol

575-808-1806

Theres his cell if anyone wants to call him, he'll leave it off for power conservation but he will check his messages.

Back