44t sprocket bore out or step drill?

Local time
1:11 PM
Hey,

So I'm looking at my new 44t sprocket which will have to be resized it's (I.D) 1.45 inches and is 37.0mm (I.D) meanwhile the hub axles 1.88 in (O.D) which is about 48mm in (O.D).

"The question is should I use 2 inch hole saw or a 2 inch step drill bit."

The plating is also about 0.10 inches thick in (O.D)

Debating buying a lenox hole saw but the issues of concern is burrs and sharp edges which will rest on the outer hub
Thanks

Last edited:
Hey,

So I'm looking at my new 44t sprocket which will have to be resized it's (I.D) 1.45 inches and is 37.0mm (I.D) meanwhile the hub axles 1.88 in (O.D) which is about 48mm in (O.D).

"The question is should I use 2 inch hole saw or a 2 inch step drill bit."

The plating is also about 0.10 inches thick in (O.D)

Debating buying a lenox hole bit.

Thanks
A steped bit will better insure it being concentric.

A steped bit will better insure it being concentric.
True and my drill is also not equipped with torque driver so if it sticks not looking to get a piece of 2x4 thrown at me.:eek:

It how ever does have adjustable speed what material do you recommend for drilling through the basic steel China sprocket?

True and my drill is also not equipped with torque driver so if it sticks not looking to get a piece of 2x4 thrown at me.:eek:

It how ever does have adjustable speed what material do you recommend for drilling through the basic steel China sprocket?
The bit has to be meant for steel not sure what they are made from.

Put a file to the sprocket, if it easily files, a saw blade will cut it no problem.

Think I'm going to have to go with the hole saw as well with two vice c clamps for the fact 13mm is not an equivalent of 3/8 drive on my drill mathematics chart says it's about just a hair over a 1/2 drive.

if the hole is not 100% centered, there will be about 2% of space left at 2 inches of bore which will leave a bit of play around the hub to get the alignment right.

Last edited:
Put a file to the sprocket, if it easily files, a saw blade will cut it no problem.

It however won't file easily but can be done... in about 20 minutes of drilling.

This plate is by far raw steel however it is not of high quality because it carries discoloration unlike high quality sprockets.

Touching it today could result in surface rust in the next few days, probably the same type of material as home depot's 16 GA sheet steel but may have some anti oxidant properties made in molding.

Last edited:
I use a hand file (small round file at first followed by half round file to finish) - gets it done fairly quickly.

I use a hand file (small round file at first followed by half round file to finish) - gets it done fairly quickly.

To open the size up?

Roughly where talking 0.43 of metal that has to be removed...

Give me a second getting my micrometer to see if I'll just pickup some files instead.

Hmmmm 0.43 inches seems OK but a bit repetitious and consistent with strokes using a file.

That's a lot of material to file..

Would have to outline stop area.

1510449619250429530144.jpg

Last edited:
Back