46 H Whizzer restoration

Actually the owner of the bike wanted to change to the J controlls as he thought it would be easier for him to ride. (I kind of have to do what the customer wants) However that's something that is sure easy enough to change at a later time without damaging any of the restoration. Thanks, Dan

I appreciate the photos of the H Engine restoration. They will probably help me out. I am getting ready to restore an H engine myself. I had a Pacemaker with a J engine back in 1958, and it was old then. I was around 15 then, and am looking forward to getting a Whizzer going again after all these years.

I didn't forget about this post & plan to continue post as retoration progresses. Dave Reese just called me last night to let me know machine work is completed & everything went well. I am just about ready to get frame under primer & fenders are already primered. I had to use some filler in fuel tank to cover some pits & very small dents, but overall fuel tank wasn't to bad once it was glass beaded. I will post some more pics soon. I told the owner that I hoped to have it completed by spring. I better get my butt in gear!! Dan

I love these vintage Whizzer threads. It gives me a chance to post pictures of my H motor I'm putting on a Columbia 3Star. My workshop is the shed and it is too cold to work on the project in the winter. As soon as the cold weather breaks I will complete my project. Here are a couple pictures so far. Thank you again Quenton.

Jim

I enjoyed the photos of your H engine. I am working on an H also.

If threads like this don't give you a good sense of appreciation for Whizzers, nothing will. That green one of Quenton's is about as good as it gets and all the others are right there with it. I doubt I will ever tackle a project like that but it sure is fun to watch others do it and see the end results. I am getting a nice little gallery going here on my computer that I can show the grandkids someday.

Whizzer pictures

How do I post pictures. I am just getting started on my project.

The Whizzer is kind of special to me. Actually when I was a kid, I loved it and hated it at the same time. Now, I love it of course. I had a Pacemaker with a J engine back in 1958. Bought it a couple years before when I was about 14 years old. It was old even then. I moved into a new area called Townview in Dayton Ohio. One day, I was riding the Whizzer down my street and saw a cute girl standing on the sidewalk. I could see she wasn't impressed. I was the geek, and she was the cheerleader. We attended high school together, parted ways and met up again 40 years later. She is now my wife, and of course, complains that I spend too much money on the Whizzer. :)

Last edited:
Just started on my Whizzer H engine

I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Attached is a couple photos of a stand I made in the woodshop to hold the engine while I clean and inspect the parts. The project involved 1 2x4 piece of lumber and 2 L brackets, one of which I made into a Z bracket for the bottom of the engine. The oil on the cylendar was created during disassembly. Now, on to the serious cleaning.
A third photo is of a Columbia bike I plan to use. I actually peddled the bike around a bit. Chain was loose, but still made it. I will be working on the bike after finishing the engine.

Attachments

• H_Engine_Stand.jpg
    H_Engine_Stand.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 487
  • H_Engine_Stand_2.jpg
    H_Engine_Stand_2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 461
  • Columbia_Side_View.jpg
    Columbia_Side_View.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 608
Hi Traveler, I see you have the Columbia "Newsboy Special" with springer fork. That is a great choice for a Whizzer, since the center tube is arched instead of straight as on my '46 Columbia. You'll have more room for the engine installation. Having an arched center tube (and the springer) will likely place it as a mid to late '50-era bike, and they actually made that same frame 'til about 1964 I believe. Is there a serial number on the left rear dropout or underside of the bottom bracket?

Back