47mm steel sleeve cylinder ring help

Now i'm not so sure about that but here we are on a scavenger hunt :D

Ride Safe! :)

HP

hmmph. there's options tho. the sleeve is 47mm, but it can be 48, 49,50 or bigger. it's also steel, but stock rings can be hardened or tempered with heat, if moly rings for 47mm can't be found. this jug is not dead in the water.
lemme check Wiseco and also what Italian mopeds have going

With the steel sleeve I’d bet you could get more miles out of it if you don’t abuse it all the time. Like he said it can be nikasiled or rehoned with the thickness of that sleeve. If you really want a reliable 2 stroke you’d have to redo the whole thing and maintain it. I’d buy a backup clutch assembly, pads and seals. 49cc 4 strokes seem more reliable out of the box and still go almost 40mph with a 44 tooth. The clutches aren’t as finicky and last way longer plus you can take off from being dead stopped. You’d have to totally remake everything in a CG engine to make it any better. They drill and tap holes off center, leave debris and shavings and so much other crap that gets on my nerves. My neighbor is driving me up the wall arguing about dumb bearings and saying one of his engines wasn’t running right. He kept saying they drilled the magneto holes wrong but he had a restrictive intake gasket and probably tuned wrong. He basically was using an engine that was brand new for parts. Smh

hmmph. there's options tho. the sleeve is 47mm, but it can be 48, 49,50 or bigger. it's also steel, but stock rings can be hardened or tempered with heat, if moly rings for 47mm can't be found. this jug is not dead in the water.
lemme check Wiseco and also what Italian mopeds have going

Dave from wiseco was supposed to check on 1000 of them to be made and call me back with the info,
but has not done so yet.

If they do not call today i'll call him back tomorrow.

Ride Safe! :)

HP

Guess I'll start hunting for pistons. Problem is so many are windowed.

Found some 47x2 caber rings on ebay that I might buy. The sellers have no info on them though. Also I am going to order that piston and ring kit I mentioned.

With you guys saying this stuff I wonder if I need the chrome rings for my 48mm cast iron sleeve. Pretty sure it has the 1mm thick rings. I have too many ideas and not enough money. I have a mini chopper, a rupp minibike, the motorized bike (in disrepair) and I started piecing stuff together for a 49cc electric start bike. I still need a battery and the bike itself.

I wonder if we can stack the 47mm x 1mm chrome faced ring with the 47mm x 1mm oil ring if we cut the lips off of
where the two ends of the oil ring meet.

That would take up the space and leave the Ring to seal.
I know, long shots :D

The way I see it is you have the stock cast iron rings which will work with the steel sleeve, if not perfectly, but they cost peanuts.
You're not going to get much return on investment by getting special custom rings or 1000 custom pistons that fit 1mm rings.

The main problem with stock rings is excessive ring end gap which allows some blow by.
If the steel 47mm sleeve is slightly looser than the stock 47mm chrome lining then the excessive ring end gap will be a bit worse.

So perhaps the most cost effective solution would be to fill that gap with "something".

The piston has a steel pin in each ring land to prevent the ring rotating. If that pin was larger (but not longer since we can't have steel pins scraping the cylinder) then maybe it could fill up some of the gap?
Perhaps the pin can be cast iron too? :unsure:

I see what ya mean.
I put the stock piston and rings into the steel lined cylinder and really it was a tight fit,
I'd say a bit tighter than the original chromed cylinder fit.

I thought of actually sort of smoothing over the sharp edges and boiling them in castor oil slowly overnight.
Meh, who knows what i'll do :D

But i would like to find and try the chrome faced rings sometime.

Ride Safe FOTI! :)

HP

I see what ya mean.
I put the stock piston and rings into the steel lined cylinder and really it was a tight fit,
I'd say a bit tighter than the original chromed cylinder fit.

I thought of actually sort of smoothing over the sharp edges and boiling them in castor oil slowly overnight.
Meh, who knows what i'll do :D

But i would like to find and try the chrome faced rings sometime.

Ride Safe FOTI! :)

HP
Ohhhh! I thought you said the fit was looser than stock. Well, it really is all good then! You'll have no problem with blow by and the rings are cheap enough to replace whenever you want. :)

I have heard of rounding the edges of the rings a tiny bit on some fine wet n dry. @jaguar mentioned this. I think it was intended to help avoid flaking off the chrome. I can't even remember whether I did it!
It may help avoid rings catching but that shouldn't be a problem if the ports are finished properly. it won't increase the pressure against the sleeve. I would surmise it might actually be less good at scraping off the high points and sweeping away the fine particles of steel as the sleeve wears in, and might allow more to get between the face of ring and sleeve.

Back