49cc/2 stroke on a hybred trike?

Kenny's ID

Local time
10:06 AM
I basically just wanted to make sure a 49cc/2 stroke would move a trike (Schwinn Meridian) from a standstill with no pedaling before I went that route. The long version follows.

The bike already has a 1000w front hub motor that does fine, however,
I cannot pedal due to handicap and don't want to get out there, have the electric drive die for whatever reason and not be able to get back home. One of the points being, it doesn't have to scream, it only needs to be fairly dependable and can get me home in a pinch...slowly is just fine.

I guess the main question is, can just about any size engine, within reason push something this heavy, if it's geared right? Again, I don't care if it has little top end, but it does need the torque to get me off the line with no pedaling.

It's presently got a predator 4 stroke/6hp, and it's just way too big/heavy and I'd like to get it out of my rear basket for the space as well.

Another issue is in my state 49 cc is the max, so I figure I'd get one of those on there, get it registered as required here, and then at worse, change it out for a bigger 2 stroke, but hopefully a 49cc will work.

Also, if it is doable, I've seen a youtube video or two on how to add the sprocket, but still not sure what to get, where to get it, or how to go about doing it. I want it mounted where it mounts on a regular 2 wheel application but of course the sprocket can't go directly on the wheel/spokes, but the same place the chain goes before it's directed to the axil..let's call it a pre axle.

I thought about a predator 3hp/4 stroke and even got one but it was defective and I had to return it. I'm also having trouble with the chain coming off, even with a pineapple sprocket mount the sprocket can shift nearly a quarter inch, and already had it break a bunch of spokes when it popped off, so just want to get away from that wheel sprocket mount altogether.

Has anyone here done this? I need to get some advice on how to do it, even if the 49cc won't be enough. Also, what size sprocket should I start with, or best guess anyway, to get the torque I need?

Also, just briefly, I started with a 2 wheel Schwinn Sidewinder, same situation, as in electric and gas drives, but haven't got the gas running yet. I won't get into that one here except to ask, is it common for those chains if they do break or come off, to rip the spokes up like that?
If so, aside from just making sure the chain doesn't come off, is there any way to avoid that? Replacing those spokes was a real pain and I can see how it could have easily ruined the wheel.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I have had the same problem with the chain coming off and ripping smokes out and scare the crap out of me this was on a two-wheel bike so I went with G herbo pineapple Ciroc it all so what I did was I ditched the standard chain tensioner and went with what's called an idle arm chain tensioner once I got that on there I had no problems at all as long as your engine sprocket is lined up with your drive sprocket your pineapple sprocket you should have no problems that idle arm chain tensioner was a game-changer for me.
it's simply an art piece of metal with a loop on each end so it makes it two bars that standard tensioner wheel will ride up and down through the two bars and tighten up where you needed to. You can get them and there's a company called MB Rebels dot-com or motorbike Rebels or Rebels motorbike I think it's MB Rebel out of Wisconsin There's a woman named Lynn that works there and they've got some really good parts they have a machine shop and they designed a lot of Their Own Parts that have been cloaned by other companies. I'm not sure what state you live in butt the standard here in Illinois I actually got pulled over and I got harassed by a cop one single cop on the force in my job gave me a hard time every other cop used to see me and say wow that's cool did you make that yourself and yada yada yada but there's one guy he pulled me over and actually called for backup when backup showed up the cop who was backup started laughing at the other cop it was the funniest thing I've ever seen he let me go but the point is he told me that the maximum was 150 cc's I don't think that's correct but that's what the police officer told me. The reason he pulled me over I barely crossed the double yellow line on the street when I was making a left turn on a side street but I guess barely crossing the yellow line is crossing the other line so there you have it good luck.
I myself have a recumbent Style three wheel bike it's got a regular seat on it like a chair and long Chopper handlebars and your feet extend out in front of you it's got a very small front wheel + 2 Ice Age 20 224 inch wheels and maybe 18 inch 16 inch wheel in front very small but it rides like a dream I often think about putting a small morning right there.
I just don't want to decrease the value of that because it was very very expensive.

OMG SORRY about all of the typos and use voice recognition because my fingers don't work too good on this little typewriters on the phone I think you will get the general idea though

It was, and typos don't bother me a bit...actually I didn't notice a single one, lol.

Thanks, Windy, that was helpful. And yes, at first glance and the way that wheel was wobbling it's scared me too, I tight the axil had broken, and on a new bike. Once I calmed down, I realized it was just spokes, and considering all the other trouble I had on that trip, I was actually relieved.

thing is, I was using the pinapple, since it was recommended for this build, but as I put it on the repaired wheel, I realized it had as much as 1/4" of play, something I didn't expect with the pineapple. I has run the thing for a mile for testing and no problems but on this trip, I broke the chain right off, and all that was different was the washboard road, as it had not been graded recently. I hit that pretty hard leaving the house, broke the chain, and went with electric to my destination, when that died, reared the chain, and it kept coming off, so all I can figure is that washboard affect was to much for the pineapple.

I'd rather not go to the expense of the alternative to the pineapple...the fixture that grabs the hub...so I was actually thinking of going to the original cheap rubber mount, and hope it doesn't develop play...they seem pretty solid. On the chain guide, I'll have to see how it goes but the info you provided could be very helpful. FWIW, that chain came off several times and I just let it hang as I used electric power, bu that one time, it got thrown to the other side of the sprocket, and :( Seems it would be pretty easy to mount a pan of some sort on the sprocket, as a shield to prevent that but just a thought at this point.

Still trying to figure out full procedure for a 2 stroke, between the legs mount/how to transfer the power, so I may not even go the wheel sprocket mount route, and won't know until I can compare the options. But since I already have the 6hp on there, I may just go with the sprocket mount I mentioned, give it a try and see what happens. I'm beginning to think I should have just gone with a 2 wheel drive electric, 2 controllers/separate systems and such for the fail safe system, but there are so many advantages to the gas.

Thanks for the help.

Back