49cc 4 stroke - What kind of shaft is this?

Tommy22

Local time
5:04 AM
It measures 15MM on the end, and 17mm where it goes into the engine block. Is this considered tapered or a straight shaft? Most of it is straight...but it is definitely not a 5.8" straight shaft. Too small for that.

I'm just hoping I can put on any tapered shaft transmission.

Thanks!

That's a 15mm shaft, assuming your caliper is off .15mm. Your not using the flat to measure may be the answer too. The 17mm portion is way too shallow to use for anything. 15.15mm = 19/32nds, never seen a shaft using that measurement, just plain old 15mm has to be it. 5/8ths is 15.875mm. Way too small for that.

That's a 15mm shaft, assuming your caliper is off .15mm. Your not using the flat to measure may be the answer too. The 17mm portion is way too shallow to use for anything. 15.15mm = 19/32nds, never seen a shaft using that measurement, just plain old 15mm has to be it. 5/8ths is 15.875mm. Way too small for that.
Well, yes it is 15mm..The .15 I was not taking into account obviously lol But the point is, the shaft I have is not a 5.8" straight shaft, nor is it tapered - so what is this thing? I guess nothing is really designed for it transmission/clutch wise..

Well, it's a Huashng motor, so I was assuming someone made a transmission for it - buy I guess not. This eBay kit is just random parts and the engine is apparently a knock off, of a knock off LOL

Its a metric straight shaft. You pretty much stuck to the stock belt drive transmittion they give you.
I have the same bike, do your self a favor. Get a oilite bushing or let the stock one soak for a few days. As they need to be soaked in oil and the factory ships them out dry.

Ayy, just realised its you! Hows the bike running? Any side effects from the new HD clutch?

Its a metric straight shaft. You pretty much stuck to the stock belt drive transmittion they give you.
I have the same bike, do your self a favor. Get a oilite bushing or let the stock one soak for a few days. As they need to be soaked in oil and the factory ships them out dry.

Ayy, just realised its you! Hows the bike running? Any side effects from the new HD clutch?
Yea, the bushing on mine is pretty much junk. The bike has sat parked since the last update. It was running good though since I put actual grease on the bearing and put the clutch on. Imagine it will lock up after 5-10miles of hard riding. The clutch is for a 5/8 shaft, so it is too big, but still worked. I got it tore down at the moment.. Trying to decide if I want to reassemble the way it is, or go with a different/engine setup since this crankshaft is so limiting... I may put it together as is to make a video showing how it runs with this engine, and then do another video with the predator engine for comparison.

Thanks,
-Tom

Yea, the bushing on mine is pretty much junk. The bike has sat parked since the last update. It was running good though since I put actual grease on the bearing and put the clutch on. Imagine it will lock up after 5-10miles of hard riding. The clutch is for a 5/8 shaft, so it is too big, but still worked. I got it tore down at the moment.. Trying to decide if I want to reassemble the way it is, or go with a different/engine setup since this crankshaft is so limiting... I may put it together as is to make a video showing how it runs with this engine, and then do another video with the predator engine for comparison.

Thanks,
-Tom
Well, look on the bright side, atleast you got a fun project to work on during quarantine!

Well, look on the bright side, atleast you got a fun project to work on during quarantine!
Definitely! I have my hands full with a bunch of projects, but this is a fun one I tinker on when I just want something easy to play with in the garage. Sick of pouring money into it..but that's just how it goes sometimes. I don't like leaving things unfinished.

Back