49cc Huasheng 4 stroke build issues

Mr.FrankSmith

Local time
4:13 AM
So ive built thd kit and had to pay more for hardware they didn't include, after filling with oil and gassing up first startup was strange, the choke wants to be aimed towards the transmission side and even after a good warm up 5-10 mins idle will die immediately apon adjusting the choke. The motor will haul me but seems to bog quite a bit and has an od white ish smoke. I had to use a peacock for the gas tank that was previously on a 2 stroke so I guess that could account for the smoke... What do you guys think, I'm a noob for sure so any help would be awesome. Thanks for reading.

It's not the petcock if you run it for five minutes and it's whitish smoke. Sounds like some kind of fouled carb to me. I've never ran one if these engines but there are definitely smart people on here who have and i bet it won't be long until they chime in let us know what's up.I wish you the best of luck.

Not sure about the white smoke (condensation inside the crankcase maybe) but the bogging and idle problem sounds like it's leaned out too much. Play with the idle mixture screw on the clutch side of the carb.

Not sure about the white smoke (condensation inside the crankcase maybe) but the bogging and idle problem sounds like it's leaned out too much. Play with the idle mixture screw on the clutch side of the carb.

Thanks for the reply! I noticed yesterday that the choke isn't able to fully turn towards the transmission side, so that's probably what's going on with the bogging. As for the smoke I'm hoping that clears up the smoke too I'm thinking with the wrong air fuel mix not everything is burning off correctly? I have to work today but I'm going to adjust the motor today if I have time and see if that helps.

The best way to diagnose how your engine is running is to do what's called a "plug chop".

You get the engine fully warmed up, find a nice long flat (preferably near your garage/workshop), and hold full throttle as long as you have room. 2-3 blocks or so is good. When you run out of room, shut the engine off, coast home, let engine cool for about a half hour, and remove the spark plug.

Check that plug out. Is it white/grey? is it tan? Is it black? That tells you if it's lean, good, or rich.

The Huasheng carbs aren't that reliable and don't like ethanol. They foul easy, there's not much adjustment to them, and on modern Huashengs, the fuel screw is usually covered by a block-off for EPA compliance, in typical Chinese donkey fashion at 50% rate angled towards the posterior. If the block-off is there, it can be removed and adjustment obtained.

Worst case, you can buy an intake for that engine that allows you to run a simple, reliable carburetor, like the NT.

The best way to diagnose how your engine is running is to do what's called a "plug chop".

You get the engine fully warmed up, find a nice long flat (preferably near your garage/workshop), and hold full throttle as long as you have room. 2-3 blocks or so is good. When you run out of room, shut the engine off, coast home, let engine cool for about a half hour, and remove the spark plug.

Check that plug out. Is it white/grey? is it tan? Is it black? That tells you if it's lean, good, or rich.

The Huasheng carbs aren't that reliable and don't like ethanol. They foul easy, there's not much adjustment to them, and on modern Huashengs, the fuel screw is usually covered by a block-off for EPA compliance, in typical Chinese donkey fashion at 50% rate angled towards the posterior. If the block-off is there, it can be removed and adjustment obtained.

Worst case, you can buy an intake for that engine that allows you to run a simple, reliable carburetor, like the NT.

I will try that as soon as I adjust the motor tomorrow, it seems I don't have enough space to actuate the choke, I will post the results as soon as i get them. I'm just hoping its not bad rings or something stupid from the factory. You guys are great! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to help a noob.

Fix that choke 1st, until that's done it won't run proper at all to diagnose it. I usually associate white smoke w/oil burning. Maybe get the choke fixed and able to open all the way, the motor ran for 20 minutes or so and you'll be good to go.

If you pull on the pull start slowly does it have good compression?

If you pull on the pull start slowly does it have good compression?
It will start up 1st pull with the choke as far left it will go, honestly I'm not even sure if that's on or off. I have to move the motor to make the choke clearn the frame, see pics. (If it lets me upload any)

Attachments

• 20190305_075856.jpg
    20190305_075856.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 20190305_082903.jpg
    20190305_082903.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 274
See if you can lower the bracket in the back down just a smudge also if need be you can cut the tab off the choke and glue/jbl it back on in a different area

also if i am correct Left = no choke right = choke

Back