49mm Steel Sleeve --- She Rips!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes true enough.
OK...got the jog pipe, header made and pipe modded to fit how I want.

Question is, how do you think doing a belly stinger like this would work?

Drilling a hole in the belly, to fit the stock stinger through and weld in place. Obviously cut the stinger so its not curved back on the inside like its depicted here.

I think it needs to be a bit further back than the pic shows....it was just to show the idea. I am unsure exactly where it should go, but I think somewhere in that area.

Doing it like this I can tuck the silencer in and under a bit, and it not hang way out the back and need an ugly support bracket that you can see.

Attachments

• jog2.jpg
    jog2.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 111
Actually, I just discovered the moped pipes that are done just as this...

Im going to do it and see how it goes. Going to do the adjustable end bleed also.....Have to weld the end anyway. May as well put a threaded plug in it and try end bleed.

OK...got the jog pipe, header made and pipe modded to fit how I want.

Question is, how do you think doing a belly stinger like this would work?

Drilling a hole in the belly, to fit the stock stinger through and weld in place. Obviously cut the stinger so its not curved back on the inside like its depicted here.

I think it needs to be a bit further back than the pic shows....it was just to show the idea. I am unsure exactly where it should go, but I think somewhere in that area.

Doing it like this I can tuck the silencer in and under a bit, and it not hang way out the back and need an ugly support bracket that you can see.
HOLD ON! You don't have to drill a hole in the belly of the pipe to have a belly stinger. Just insert enough stinger pipe in the end to reach the midway point of the pipe.

Alright, got it welded up and took it for a ride.

Nothing else has changes on the bike since yesterdays ride other than swapping from an MZ65 clone with a loosely fit largish silencer on it, to the jog pipe and the silencer it came with , and the necessary header for the jog.

Firstly, as it is, low end torque is down compared to the MZ clone. Some carb tuning will be needed for sure and I may end up throwing the PW80 carb I have on it.

Power is smoother throughout for sure.

Took a bit longer to reach top speed than the MZ clone, again this pipe has seemingly totally changed the fuel demands...or...

It is freaking eerily quiet out the butt end with the bleed screw in. Only exhaust noise is right at the header, plus the intake noise, and all the mechanical engine noise.

I do not like the sound of it. Its far too quiet out the pipe. Hardly sounds like a 2 stroke at all.

With the bleed screw removed it makes more noise , but still weird sounding.

Me no likey how it sounds. Going to have to figure out a different silencer.

Will play with the carb today and get it a bit better, then leave the engine stuff alone for now and finish the rest of the bike. Need to finish the custom fuel tank, seat, brakes etc. Was planning on making a set of extended horizontal dropouts to get another 3in on the wheelbase. The way these Hyper dropouts are makes that kind of easy without having to mess with the stays

Attachments

• jog pipe.jpg
    jog pipe.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 121
  • jog pipe 2.jpg
    jog pipe 2.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 119
HOLD ON! You don't have to drill a hole in the belly of the pipe to have a belly stinger. Just insert enough stinger pipe in the end to reach the midway point of the pipe.
Yes, I know that..... The reason I wanted to do it this way was outlined in the post, and now pictured in my last one.

I did not want to have the silencer hanging much further out the back.

Done a bit more tuning and I think I have hit a very close final tune, at least for now.

Top speed of 49mph today, and she gets there pretty quick. She has more in her I think, but I will leave it alone for the time being. Especially if I balanced the crank a tad better.

Quick rip to test out the tune. You can really tell when it gets on the pipe with the jog. I mean, its on the pipe more throughout much more of the range with the jog, but it really hits hard when I hit about 40, then that last 10mph comes quick. You can really tell in the vid by the sound and the acceleration when its really on the pipe.

This is with the back pressure screw in place. I will see what it does without it tomorrow.

Unfortunately the camera died so you dont get the entire ride, but....

Done a bit more tuning and I think I have hit a very close final tune, at least for now.

Top speed of 49mph today, and she gets there pretty quick. She has more in her I think, but I will leave it alone for the time being. Especially if I balanced the crank a tad better.

Quick rip to test out the tune. You can really tell when it gets on the pipe with the jog. I mean, its on the pipe more throughout much more of the range with the jog, but it really hits hard when I hit about 40, then that last 10mph comes quick. You can really tell in the vid by the sound and the acceleration when its really on the pipe.

This is with the back pressure screw in place. I will see what it does without it tomorrow.

Unfortunately the camera died so you dont get the entire ride, but....

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but when I see even the most fundamental traffic laws being violated, (Not even attempting to stop at 2 stop signs right in the beginning), Thats when I STOP watching the video as it doesn't represent safe riding practices that all of us should be demonstrating if we are going to post videos for all to see.

If I saw that in just the first minute, I'm sure you disregard common sense public safety across the boards....No wonder why British Columbia as well as all of Australia outllawed our bikes after showing their lawmakers videos like these.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but when I see even the most fundamental traffic laws being violated, (Not even attempting to stop at 2 stop signs right in the beginning), Thats when I STOP watching the video as it doesn't represent safe riding practices that all of us should be demonstrating if we are going to post videos for all to see.

If I saw that in just the first minute, I'm sure you disregard common sense public safety across the boards....No wonder why British Columbia as well as all of Australia outllawed our bikes after showing their lawmakers videos like these.
Thank you! I will do better next time....

You ride as you feel safe doing so. Regardless what the law says, you do not have the right of way.... you have to make your way. <--- Actual advice from a police officer regarding bike riding who was a cycle cop for several years. In fact, this was told to me when I was at a corner on a bike and he came up behind me and didn't even see me until he was about to turn right into me. Yes, what we ride are bicycles with motors, not motorcycles, and must be ridden differently to maintain our own safety.

Remember, on a bike, near automobile traffic, you carry the majority of the risk, which is why you are supposed to be given the right of way.....that you really dont have. Minimize it by making your way, getting away, out of the way, and have a nice day. Which may mean not coming to a full stop at a stop sign to prevent some jacka$$ behind you cutting you off to the right and ending up eating a pavement salad.

I was very aware of my surroundings, and chose to ride in a manner that I felt was safest.

Not condoning anything, but you ride as you feel safest without disregarding others safety, which I wasnt ..........

Thank you! I will do better next time....

You ride as you feel safe doing so. Regardless what the law says, you do not have the right of way.... you have to make your way. <--- Actual advice from a police officer regarding bike riding who was a cycle cop for several years. In fact, this was told to me when I was at a corner on a bike and he came up behind me and didn't even see me until he was about to turn right into me. Yes, what we ride are bicycles with motors, not motorcycles, and must be ridden differently to maintain our own safety.

Remember, on a bike, near automobile traffic, you carry the majority of the risk, which is why you are supposed to be given the right of way.....that you really dont have. Minimize it by making your way, getting away, out of the way, and have a nice day. Which may mean not coming to a full stop at a stop sign to prevent some jacka$$ behind you cutting you off to the right and ending up eating a pavement salad.

Not condoning anything, but you ride as you feel safest without disregarding others safety, which I wasnt ..........
I'm a retired Police Lieutenant as well as a retired ASE certified master tech...I have seen all sides of this argument...I might add I never lost in court over any traffic infraction I was presenting before a judge...I always used The Annotated General Laws of the Commonwealth in cases I was presenting in Massachusetts back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back