49mm Steel Sleeve --- She Rips!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a retired Police Lieutenant as well as a retired ASE certified master tech...I have seen all sides of this argument...I might add I never lost in court over any traffic infraction I was presenting before a judge...I always used The Annotated General Laws of the Commonwealth in cases I was presenting in Massachusetts back then.
Cool. I am unsure what being an ASE certified tech has anything to do with anything regarding this however. But its nice to know.

Oh, I am certainly not arguing the law of right of way, or general traffic laws, and who would win in the courtroom. But I would rather end up in a traffic court room than a hospital room.

I would certainly expect a man of your experience to understand.

I hold several certifications in automotive electrical/electronics engineering, mechanical engineering, and manufacturing engineering.... including a Six Sigma black belt (sounds tough doesnt it). I am certain they have little to do with the argument (of which there is little, merely conversation), but if you want to use them as some sort of justification on my part, as you expected me to do with you, you are free to do so.

I am unsure what being an ASE certified tech has anything to do with anything regarding this however. But its nice to know.
In other words, I have had two careers before my final retirement, Police work was the first one...lol...and the one I use when I see videos like this...lol

The ASE master certification is what I use when it comes to mechanical help with these little beasties, though there are some who know the 2 cycles even better than I....lol.

Done a bit more tuning and I think I have hit a very close final tune, at least for now.

Top speed of 49mph today, and she gets there pretty quick. She has more in her I think, but I will leave it alone for the time being. Especially if I balanced the crank a tad better.

Quick rip to test out the tune. You can really tell when it gets on the pipe with the jog. I mean, its on the pipe more throughout much more of the range with the jog, but it really hits hard when I hit about 40, then that last 10mph comes quick. You can really tell in the vid by the sound and the acceleration when its really on the pipe.

This is with the back pressure screw in place. I will see what it does without it tomorrow.

Unfortunately the camera died so you dont get the entire ride, but....

In your video, you ran 8 STOP signs and only stopped at one. On one occasion there was an oncoming car that came near you. If you keep riding the way you're riding the camera may not be the only thing dying.

With some of those ludicrous statements, it's obvious you've never learned proper cycling techniques. I'm not trying to insult you, I was on a pedal-only cycle forum for nearly 10 years. At first, I was argumentive but I swallowed my pride and began to listen to the cyclist who was much more experienced than me. Even though my bike will only do around 30 mph on level ground; I'm less likely to be in an accident than you are.

I obey all traffic laws, stay alert/aware, communicate, and ride predictably. Watch these 3 videos. Being a good MB'er starts with being a good cyclist first.

Making videos of a blatant disregard for traffic laws causes many to think all MB'ers ride as you do. These videos are then used to pass laws banning our bikes. It's just as easy to make videos of safe riding as it is to make one's of irresponsible riding.

Your camera mount was very good; you should do a walk around the bike so viewers will know what your bike looks like. I want you to be here for many years with us. The country roads were nice. I want you to continue to post more videos that are entertaining but also educational and showing we too deserve to be on the road.

Thank you! I will do better next time....

You ride as you feel safe doing so. Regardless what the law says, you do not have the right of way.... you have to make your way. <--- Actual advice from a police officer regarding bike riding who was a cycle cop for several years. In fact, this was told to me when I was at a corner on a bike and he came up behind me and didn't even see me until he was about to turn right into me. Yes, what we ride are bicycles with motors, not motorcycles, and must be ridden differently to maintain our own safety.

Remember, on a bike, near automobile traffic, you carry the majority of the risk, which is why you are supposed to be given the right of way.....that you really dont have. Minimize it by making your way, getting away, out of the way, and have a nice day. Which may mean not coming to a full stop at a stop sign to prevent some jacka$$ behind you cutting you off to the right and ending up eating a pavement salad.

I was very aware of my surroundings, and chose to ride in a manner that I felt was safest.

Not condoning anything, but you ride as you feel safest without disregarding others safety, which I wasnt ..........
In the USA and many other parts of the world, cyclists do not automatically have the Right Of Way. Cyclists are considered vehicles and are expected to obey traffic laws like all other vehicles are required to do.

Many cyclists don't understand what the Far Right Law means. A cyclist is to ride to the far right if the lane is wide enough for a vehicle to clear them by 3 feet without changing lanes. This is called Lane Sharing. If the lane isn't wide enough for Lane Sharing then the cyclist has the right to use the entire lane. In narrow lanes, the safest place for the cyclist is in the center of the lane. This is known as Lane Control.

Cyclists riding to the far right in narrow lanes are prone to sideswipes due to vehicles doing a squeeze by. When using Lane Control a passing vehicle has to change lanes to pass just like they'd have to do with any other slower moving vehicle. When using Lane Control traffic will stop behind you at Red Lights and STOP signs instead of beside you. Lane Control also prevents vehicles from doing a right hook to you at intersections.

In the USA and many other parts of the world, cyclists do not automatically have the Right Of Way. Cyclists are considered vehicles and are expected to obey traffic laws like all other vehicles are required to do.

Many cyclists don't understand what the Far Right Law means. A cyclist is to ride to the far right if the lane is wide enough for a vehicle to clear them by 3 feet without changing lanes. This is called Lane Sharing. If the lane isn't wide enough for Lane Sharing then the cyclist has the right to use the entire lane. In narrow lanes, the safest place for the cyclist is in the center of the lane. This is known as Lane Control.

Cyclists riding to the far right in narrow lanes are prone to sideswipes due to vehicles doing a squeeze by. When using Lane Control a passing vehicle has to change lanes to pass just like they'd have to do with any other slower moving vehicle. When using Lane Control traffic will stop behind you at Red Lights and STOP signs instead of beside you. Lane Control also prevents vehicles from doing a right hook to you at intersections.

The far right law here is not just if its wide enough for a vehicle to clear by 3 feet. Its just hard codified we must operate to the far right period.... unless passing another vehicle, or turning left.

Which as you stated, is unsafe...

There is another law you can point out that I was bending in my video. For educational purposes, so people know.

The far right law here is not just if its wide enough for a vehicle to clear by 3 feet. Its just hard codified we must operate to the far right period.... unless passing another vehicle, or turning left.

Which as you stated, is unsafe...

There is another law you can point out that I was bending in my video. For educational purposes, so people know.
I don't know where "Here" is for you but the Far Right Law only applies to Wide Lanes in the USA. If a Lane isn't wide enough for a vehicle to pass you by 3 feet without changing lanes then a cyclist has the right to use the entire lane. In lanes not wide enough for Lane Sharing the safest place for a cyclist in the center of the lane, this is known as Lane Control.

When you slap a motor on a bicycle, it's not considered a bicycle any longer. Traffic laws should be obeyed as if you were riding a motorcycle IN MOST CASES. There are some small exceptions in my eyes (I'll pedal through a greenbelt path which does not allow motorized vehicles ... sometimes with engine running ... somtimes with engine off (depending on how long of a ride I have)... but I will always pedal through those.

I've gone on the sidewalk when it's safer to do so than in the street... though rare... and always low speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back