$500 labor charge for building an MB???

...how do you feel about black self-vulcanizing tape? I got some with a submersible well pump I bought. Wrapped on it's self it seals like heatshrink tubing without heat. It just looks like thick electrical tape.

I really don't have a problem with the guy asking any price he can get.

But he should do a good job.

Poor workmanship would scare me away more than a premium price.

Its the details that make these bikes... his works sloppy.
Just some joker thats trying to make a fast buck.;
What really gets my goat are the guys that present themselves as "builders" but are really just re sellers who cant tell you much about the bike ... because they didn't build it.
E Caveat Emptor
BBB

if you notice he has the sprocket on backwards also i emailed him telling him it wont sell at that price i havnt heard back from him as of yet probally wont either i'll post if i do

thanks for the advice, actually we sold 3 last year for 500 so i dont think our price is unreasonable. we put time in our bikes to insure everything is perfect. wait till its spring and these will sell all day. this is the responce i got from him and here is what i wrote

dude you selling that bike way to high i sell mine for 350 all day well look you figure 98 dollar bike from walmart i got 3 of those same bikes and a 130 dollar motor from boy go fast thats only 230 trust me no one will pay 500 for that bike you might get lucky and get 375 out of it

Truth be told,$500 isn't that much... for the proper build.
That means clean solid workmanship, but as the standard assembly on a normal bike.
Custom fitting costs more, odd ball frames, mounts, shift kits all require more time on the part of the mechanic but that bike shown was obviously just thrown together.
I cant tell you how many people come into my shop with a "bargain" bike from a on line reseller and end up having to pay me extra to re do the bike, which we do happily, because we just scored a new customer and chances are if they are happy with the work and bike, they come back.
E caveat Emptor.
Check out any builders work before considering purchase.
I'm always happy to display our workmanship and answer detailed questions about any build from a rack mount friction drive 31 cc 4 stroke on a Schwinn beach bike to a full blast custom framed Morini.
Good luck
BBB

Last edited:
"thanks for the advice, actually we sold 3 last year for 500 so i dont think our price is unreasonable. we put time in our bikes to insure everything is perfect. wait till its spring and these will sell all day."

Being honest here.... If it were a respectable and quality bike.... and if it were a quality motor... and if it were really good workmanship... and if it came with some kind of warranty... and if it weren't a blatant ripoff.... I might spend $750 for a motorized bicycle!

Now I surely hold no Ph.D of any form in any area... but a sentence that contains 5 IF's should be avoided!

if you notice he has the sprocket on backwards

not to go along with how this bike is built. but to be honest, there isn't really a front or backside to the sprocket. sometimes you have to flip the sprocket over to get the chain to clear the rear tire and to get the chain lined up right.
I know that they say to install the sprocket a certain way (with the dished side facing in i think).
I have the sprockets on both of my bikes with the dished side facing out for tire/chain clearance.
if you get a good set of well written instructions they actually tell you that you may have to flip the sprocket over so that the chain does not rub on the tire.

i see that he has this bike at "buy it now" for $750.00.....lol, i needed a good laugh today.

i know what you mean it is honestly not worth what he is asking for it i dont care how much he claims it it isnt

It's true that that particular bike is shoddy and shouldn't be sold to a newbie at any price.

But, really, for someone to make $200-$250 on a proper basic build is not unreasonable at all. I wouldn't even consider doing it for less. (I'd do it as a favor for a friend or someone down on their luck and begging for help, but I wouldn't do it for less if I wanted this profit to pay my bills.)

That's why I've never given any consideration to building these as a business. very few people would be willing to pay enough to make it worthwhile. And half of them would never be satisfied.

This guy should do better work, definitely. But his profit margin on that bike is not huge at all.

Back