504 here

Joohd

Local time
11:03 PM
Greetings from 504! I'm new to the moped scene so any insight into the legalities are greatly appreciated. I just completed my first build this weekend, its a western flyer frame fitted with a springer front end and a 50cc engine from gasbike.net. Yesterday was the first time it got to see the open rode, and seems to have been a crowd sleeper aaand of course I got pulled over as soon as it got dark. I'll post some pics in the gallery so lemme know what you think.

Welcome aboard.

Legalities depend on your locality. In a number of states, they are nothing more than a bicycle from the legal standpoint. There are limits on engine size and transmission to fall within that category. But your typical 50 cc happy time engine and bike are okay.

In other states (and maybe municipalities) they are definitely prohibited by law. But that's not necessarily as bad as it sounds. Reading the experiences of people on this site leads me to suppose that law enforcement is not very interested in hassling someone on one of these as long as they are behaving themselves. It stands to reason; they have bigger fish to fry.

I do think that they will clamp down on people who go gonzo when they ride. But I'll bet that's true everywhere.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll be good to go once I have a legit headlight and tail light. Alot of cops just drove past me without as much as a glance. So am I supposed to ride it like its a regular car or motorcycle?

Back