50cc inline twin 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a picture of a 52cc rc race boat engine at the top of this thread I do think the vtwin would be cool but would it be able to be a 2 stroke? probably not but if you had a 50cc vtwin it would be 2 25cc cylinders you could probably base it off the honda gx25 but even one of those engines is expensive.

as i said, only issue with multi cylinder two strokes is the crankcase compression. they either have to be separated, or have everything hit TDC at the same time.

its why you dont see too many multi cylinder two strokes. (and yes, they exist...i think someone got all the way up to an inline six at one point...) they end up being way too wide and the cranks have to be assembled, pressed together, with all the bearings and seals in place. not easy. every engine builder i have gone to has refused to even attempt to just press apart/reassemble a twin throw twostroke crank i have here...

that boat engine is basically two 26cc engines bolted together. its wide. or long, depending how you look at it.

even a regular single cylinder (like the honda gx25) is getting too wide to fit between your pedals, especially after adding a clutch and stuff.

another option is the twin crank setup, like the kawasaki KR series. contra rotating cranks= no vibration. inline, but the other way round...

Yeah the 79cc pred with clutch on it is pretty wide though I have the regular wide pedal crank kit on the bike. I can understand it being too wide for the stock pedals but mb rebel makes pedals meant for the 212s I think. I got the idea looking at an old weedeater crankcase. I still think it would be easier to engineer the 2 cylinder 2 stroke than a 2 cylinder 4 stroke you have to make a camshaft, figure out timing ect. If both pistons fire at the same time on the 2 stroke wouldn't it have more torque?

making a camshaft isnt that terribly hard to do. if you can make engine parts, you can make a camshaft... and timing is no real challenge either. just requires accuracy in laying out and machining.

theres not much difference between having two small pistons firing at the same time or having one large piston firing...same power. same pressure. more frictional losses though. you should get more speed from the smaller lighter pistons and therefore more peak power... but the torque will remain relatively the same. ever wondered why dirt bikes prefer one big cylinder compared to road bikes with two, four, or six cylinders? its actually a bit more complex than simple torque/power...its also about the smoothness of the power pulses. dirt bikes, with their thump thump power delivery can slip...then get a break while they regain traction...then slip...repeat process. watch an old lenz bulldog tractor working under load... you can see the jerks as the single cylinder engine delivers a power stroke. for the dirt, for traction, that power delivery was far superior to the smoother running multi cylinder engines.

multi cylinders tend to spin but the firing order is (usually!) arranged (on bikes) so you get one whole revolution with all the power strokes, followed by another revolution with no power strokes.

i always found that a v-twin, when it breaks traction, remains very throttle stable. very steady. whereas a inline four, as soon as it breaks traction it tries to spin itself up to redline...scary.

car engines are designed for smoothness of power delivery, all power strokes are evenly spaced. early bikes did this too but they soon discovered it wasnt the best way to design the engines.

not really an issue with low horsepower engines, but yeah...something to think about.

and balancing is harder, unless its horizontally opposed.

A 78mm clutch is made for goped use on that style of crankshaft. Then you have to reduce the output thru a 5:1 pocket bike transmission making it really wide. But its possible with off the shelf parts. That engine would accept a 54mm clutch from DDMracing
s.nl

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=885035&n=1&it=A&id=4175
But there is a fabricator I know of that makes a 78mm upgrade for high HP high revving Zenoah small bore engines 23/38cc's. And stock they rev close to 15k!

Oh you mean that 52cc inline twin engine? I would want a good clutch that can take the high rpms also that motor is over $400 and it looks like its liquid cooled because theres fittings on the cylinders. The shaft looks like it only sticks out an inch and that golden bracket would have to be removed. It would also be hard to come up with mounts since the bracket is part of the mount. I'm guessing the clutch may or may not bolt up to the existing bracket holes but the 54mm clutch does look like it would bolt on. I'm guessing you would need a stronger clutch spring since it is 52cc twin instead of a single cylinder 29cc. I wonder how the exhaust should be 2 independent expansion chambers or a single? Maybe hpi baja exhausts an aluminum frame would be good for a build like this. Seems like alot of money for something made in china though. Might even want to change the bearings for better ones. Maybe theres a japanese or other version since the chinese copy everything.

Last edited:

Here's a test on a PED with a 54mm clutch.

Porting and pipes unleash those cylinders!

I saw there's a 58cc version of the twin we were talking about I was looking into the zenoahs maybe the 31.8cc single cylinder could be used on a bike.

Last edited:
It's a shame they're made in China though. I guess you could put better bearings in. Does anyone know a similar twin 2 stroke made in Japan?

My 2 & 3 cylinder builds, both are 2 cycle. 3 cylinder build, engines are 120Deg out of phase.

Attachments

• DSCN0006.JPG
    DSCN0006.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN0438.JPG
    DSCN0438.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCN0444.JPG
    DSCN0444.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 291
Status
Not open for further replies.