Engine Trouble 50cc newer engine tuning problem

This thread was about a 48cc as there really isn't a 50cc and there piston is only one type with 40mm dia.
image0.jpg

After taking the piston off, I found that because the rings didn't set properly (also the rings look crappy as can be from factory) the skirt of the piston has a big scratch on each side where the transfer ports are. It looks like the rings were too small and the piston was actually wider than the rings lol. I checked the cylinder body though, it doesn't need to be replaced. Some very very small scores, but nothing actually visibly noticeable and it's smooth all over on the inside.

The title of this thread said 50cc, all along I thought you had the small engine. While yo u have the piston out measure to the top of the piston pin, 15/16?is type A , 1-1/16 is type B. Just order the piston type you need, its best to replace the complete top end at once, especially if you have damage to either part.

The title of this thread said 50cc, all along I thought you had the small engine. While yo u have the piston out measure to the top of the piston pin, 15/16?is type A , 1-1/16 is type B. Just order the piston type you need, its best to replace the complete top end at once, especially if you have damage to either part.
Okay, I will order a new cylinder body too then...

The problem using a used cylinder is it may take some extra time to seat the rings, that’s why you hone a cylinder when you rebuild a engine, even if you only replace the rings. With the super thin coating in these little engines honing may damage the bore.

The problem using a used cylinder is it may take some extra time to seat the rings, that’s why you hone a cylinder when you rebuild a engine, even if you only replace the rings. With the super thin coating in these little engines honing may damage the bore.
i assume i dont need to do all that if i just buy a new cylinder?

Back