50's monark gebe

here's what i've been working on, a take off on the gebe engine mount. would like to install this engine in the frame with a jackshaft, but they are just too wide and still be able to pedal. i usually use the smaller 25cc engine, better gas mileage and you get to assist which i just love. next bike is on a 1938 schwinn ace. bigger tank, better frame than this monark, although i like the way this frame handles. it feels like a motorcycle. w.
1582_P1010111_2.jpg

Nice Monark!! I have a late 1930s Monark myself similar kind of frame, mine has rear-facing back wheel drop-outs, though, with the screw-chain tensioners. Great job!!

monark frames

good eye. your bike is most likely a pre-war model, as all schwinns pre-war have the track style dropouts. to a collector it would be worth more. i have added 12g spokes to the drive side and inlet gear teeth in 3 places on the drive ring to mesh with the belt. The 47cc engine would cause slippage, worse in the wet and was breaking 14g spokes like nobody's business! Of note, a driver clocked me at 50mph on the flat (with a mild tailwind, maybe 5 to 10). wes.

Tuffwheel???

Was this a mag wheel you cut the spokes out? How is it mounted to the spokes. I think I understand the drive which would be a toothed pully on the engine with a slick drive pully.
Yes, No Maybe???
BTY, sharp ride.

Back