50's monark gebe

here's what i've been working on, a take off on the gebe engine mount. would like to install this engine in the frame with a jackshaft, but they are just too wide and still be able to pedal. i usually use the smaller 25cc engine, better gas mileage and you get to assist which i just love. next bike is on a 1938 schwinn ace. bigger tank, better frame than this monark, although i like the way this frame handles. it feels like a motorcycle. w.
1582_P1010111_2.jpg

Bikeguy Joe said:
What kind of bicycle is that? Nice! Really nice!

am i correct in saying that 'monark' is a type of frame, and not an actual brand name?

oh, ok...it was the spelling that threw me off :p

I believe monarch was the maker
the old school springer forks are monarch replicas

ps...they are really nice looking forks 8) 8) 8)
but, they would look funny on my deviate :LOL:

but they'd look mighty cool on wes's bike 8) 8)

dig the frame...are we still waiting to learn about make/year?

frame and fork

This is a Monark frame. boys cruiser from around 1948 to 55. i can't find any online records for serial # like you can for schwinn. i thickened up the dropouts and added tabs for the disc brake, and you need them with this 47r tanaka! it does over 40mph easy, but only about 130 mpg. the zenoah 25cc gets over 200 and you get to assist! the fork is not a repro, look closer. it's a modern shock fork RST 100 dollar cheapo 1inch from nashbar so i could run a disc and aheadset system. drive ring is bmx tuffwheel; need to add teeth in the track so it won't slip in the rain, which i'm doing now. gear ratio is 13:1 12g spokes are on their way also. i commute 40 miles round trip to work and have it licensed. last year i road a gebe system on a bianchi single speed 3000m and no pullovers so i guess they don't care if you act legal. helmet lights etc. this crap is severly addictive... i'm 47 years old, but when i'm on the bike i feel 12! rode motorcycles years ago and it was fun but not like this. SO cool i finally found this site! cheers!

I love it, the mix of new tech on an old retro frame is very appealing. Who makes the rear pulley if you don't mind me asking?

That is an interesting setup. I have a couple of questions.

How did you attach the drive ring to the wheel?
I have a GEBE that I installed but on a heavy duty spoked wheel that I special ordered I found it impossible to get the ring centered. Went back to the standard wheel that was on the bike and got it centered ok. Thought your system may allow for some adjustment.

It sounds like you are using the GEBE belt but how are you going to add teeth to the ring?

Like what you are doing.

Back