52 jc higgins question?

W

wavygravy

can i install a newer style crank to my old higgins as to upgrade to new wheel sets with newer sprockets as the old style is skipp tooth? i want to upgrade to heavyier spokes & berrings ect! & has anyone tried a workman front drum brake on a beehive springer front end ? does it fit ect? im so obcessed with this bike ! i love it! :cool:

Yes

Hi Wavy, YES almost all American 1pc cranks can be interchanged. In addition, you can use orig crank, and just change the sprocket, and put in back together.

Worksman front brake wheel, trouble here Amigo. Your fork is set up for 5/16 axles (I think) and Worksman uses 3/8 (nominal) I know. I do have Grube front brake (not as good by a long shot, but still a drum). I've got Sturmey Archer drum wheels available too, tho they appear to be 8mm fine ( a bit under 3/8). What size is the slot or hole in your fork (I've never had a bee-hive, but many of the others) One concept is to grind flat sides on the axle, and slide it in that way, some axles are even made this way already.

Drums work fine on Springers, I just need close-ups of what you have to be able to help more accureately.

Mike

the Sturmey Archer model XFD has 9mm with .285" flats no the axle,huskybicycles.com has 24" and 26" with 12gauge spokes,hope this helps. louis

thanks for info guys! youve been very helpfull ! i forgot you sold parts too mike!

Looks like they got you covered there wavy... Just so you know- yes most modern parts will work. I'm working on a 1930's Fleetwing frame, with 1940's Huffman wheels, 1980's fork, brand new neck, and all brand new bearings, cups, cones, etc.
So yeah you can mix and match, but you have to check out with measuring just to make sure as there are a couple of different size standards now available...
But yeah, you should be good to go pretty in fairly short order...

uncle I'd love to see that bike.I just picked up a 1939 Huffman built Firstone flying ace today.

Attachments

• IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 535
uncle I'd love to see that bike.I just picked up a 1939 Huffman built Firstone flying ace today.

Well since this is wavy's thread I'll post a pic monday in a new thread for ya'...
:)
I'll warn ya' though she's still so very rough and rusty...

Back