53cc HS 10G shifter on a GT2a-150 gas tank frame

For reference this newest custom customer build is based on my Dream Machine customer build.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=927

Except I have full 'creative control' of how I want it ;-}

First off it won't be black, I am sick of black and 'stealth', it's going to be some sort of Red/Black, but I get ahead of myself.

For those that are unaware of the parts the link above will give you some insight.

The newest real Skyhawk gas tank frames I helped design is the GT2A-150 that will take 26" 3" wide tires and has a rear disc brake mount.

The 4-stroke engines are the elusive HS 144F-1G 53cc 4-stroke, the 142F's 49cc big brother.

The transfer case is a modified Skyhawk 4G that has a belt drive reduction of 5:1 using a 100T freewheel output, which I replace with longer output shaft to make it a KCK 10G Long Shaft for direct right side output for a right side geared drive.

This old version base was steel that clamped to the frame.
The newest version is a thick flat aluminum plate welded right to the frame.

NewBase1.jpg

Most of the other parts like the 26x3"wheels, fenders, seat, disc brakes, and handlebars are from a Fito Modena.

NewBase2.jpg

The front forks however will be disc brake ready Suncore shocks, and the rear 7-speed hub replaced with a SA disc ready internal 3-speed.

This build may very well become my new crown jewel build so I thought I would share as it comes along.
Wish me luck ;-}

OK, almost got the upgrades in place.
I will need some some custom extensions for the down legs of the rack so I can move it back and get it's rear taillight on but no biggie, it will work.

It now also sports a 1200 lumen 3-mode LI headlight, Tach/Hour Meter, and old school analog Speedometer.

RedGT2changes.jpg

Id like to ask about the brakes. What model and brand name are you using on this build, and why did you choose these brakes. Are they mechanical or hydraulic?
It helps to read the whole topic.

From above:
"I strip a new Fito Modena GT for the parts.
http://www.bikebuyers.com/fito-modena-gt-alloy-7sp-men.htm
$350 delivered."

It comes with a pair of Shimano Tourney TX cable pull calipers and 160mm discs.

I had my local bike shop cost me for supplying the parts I use and they can't even match what I pay let alone beat the $350 but that included an internal shifting rear wheel opposed to the 7-speed on the Fito I don't use and have them replace anyway.
I need to explore that more as it has to be cheaper to buy parts than have a leftover Fito caucus, save me time too.

Man just got to say that is one sweet bike KC.
What would you estimate the shipping to Perth Australia to be!? I might be looking at one of those bad boys in the not too distant future!!!

Man just got to say that is one sweet bike KC.
Thanks for the Kudos DMO.

Here are some finished pics.

RedGT2done2R.jpg

RedGT2done2L.jpg

This one got a few extras like a custom back rack, 1200 Lumen LED headlight, LED taillight, digital Tachometer/Hour Meter and Analog Speedometer.

RedGT2done2Rear.jpg

The part I like best is how close together the pedals are.
165mm crank shaft and straight crank arms, not those funky super wide bent crank arms, jezz I hate that system.

This feels like a regular bike to pedal.

I just found the perfect place to put the engine in that frame with my system is all.
A very nice feel to ride. Those leather covered form grips sure help, especially since this one has the stock Ftio triplei-tree forks, no hand fatigue at all.

RedGT2done2bars.jpg

What would you estimate the shipping to Perth Australia to be!? I might be looking at one of those bad boys in the not too distant future!!!

The trick to that is a custom kit I think, as shipping a complete MB is the same as a motorcycle, expensive.

I build it, then take the big parts back off to ship in different boxes for the heavy stuff, then you reassemble the big parts on your end.
Or just a do-it-yourself kit from scratch but all the parts bolt right into place easier than IKEA furniture hehehe ;-}

Anyway I am working on that very thing and hope to have that option available later this year as I am still testing and trying the things I developed last year and seeing what works best for the next order of custom parts this year.

I am just waiting on the Powder Coating place to get me the frame back for my 3rd build on this platform, a cool green, this one is getting some extras too ;-}

whats the inside distance on the seat stays, from brake boss to brake boss on those frames? it does not look like there is much room in there. i think to fit a 4 inch tires might be impossible

whats the inside distance on the seat stays, from brake boss to brake boss on those frames? it does not look like there is much room in there. i think to fit a 4 inch tires might be impossible
The inside distance between the V brake bosses is only 2.15" (54.6mm).
Cut them off and you have 3.81" (97mm).
That is to let the rim fit by.

Total width at the top for the tire 3.91" (99.4mm).

I just bought a GT2A frame and was wondering about the mounts on the back down tubes. I see they are for a V-Brake now will someone please tell me what a V brake is? I did a search and found nothing.
Thanks
Jeff

I just bought a GT2A frame and was wondering about the mounts on the back down tubes. I see they are for a V-Brake now will someone please tell me what a V brake is? I did a search and found nothing.
Thanks
Jeff

A V-brake like a C-brake are both rim rubbing pads, the difference is where and how the pivot arm for both sides move.
On a V-brake it is just 2 arms that attach to the frame via posts for the added levearge, aka brake bosses, so fixed to the frame.
A C-brake only has one mount with two arms as part of complete piece with little mechanical advantage.

All they do essentially is give you better leverage to pull the pads together on you rim with a pull lever.
They do it well.

KC that bike is very very nice, and I will be looking forward to a kit when you make them available. I suppose it is safe to assume with the int. hub the hills will be smooth and the flat ground fast. What would you think about a nuvinci in this application, and what are your thoughts on int. geared hubs as
opposed to the nuvinci hub? Right now I'm as green as that bike is red, but that's just envy. Ok one more question. When shifting gears how does it act when you come back onto the throttle with the centrifugal clutch? I'm guessing you develop a feel for it so it wont jerk. Again, very nice bike.

KC that bike is very very nice, and I will be looking forward to a kit when you make them available.
Get with me from the Contact page of my web site and we can talk ;-}
I suppose it is safe to assume with the int. hub the hills will be smooth and the flat ground fast.
What would you think about a nuvinci in this application, and what are your thoughts on int. geared hubs as
opposed to the nuvinci hub?
Nuvinci hubs just don't work well with real power.
I worked with Fallbrook for a year, they gave me a Developers Kit, that was their auto-shifting system to try with engine power.
A very elaborate system with PC software to set 'shift points', I had fun playing with it but it died.
So did ~50% of the ones we scored when I bought up all the Cadillac bikes that came with them.

Regardless, a motorized bike doesn't need all those gears as even a 48cc is ~10 times stronger than your legs.
Right now I'm as green as that bike is red, but that's just envy.
Ok one more question.
When shifting gears how does it act when you come back onto the throttle with the centrifugal clutch?
I'm guessing you develop a feel for it so it wont jerk. Again, very nice bike.
As green as this bike with envy?

2_EmeraldDoneL-1280.jpg

Shifting with a derailleur takes some practice but an internal is as smooth as warm butter.

Basic Blue Build

I have been playing with the 'hammer tone' coatings but thought I try just plain gloss and build just the most basic 10G bike I could.
It costs the same $100 to PC the frame, but I didn't have a Blue build yet and wanted one in Gloss ;-}

2_Blue10GL-1280.jpg

2_Blue10GR-1280.jpg

It's not near as striking as it is looks in the sun, but sweet I think.

I did put an SBP air cleaner on it because they look as cool as they work, but otherwise just the basics...
A 4-stroke shifter on a custom gas tank frame using Fito parts.
Easy to pedal with the engine off, and no need to ever pedal with the engine on because it has 7 drive gears.

$1450. Locally, and no I don't have just my 10G's for sale, sorry.

Back