55+ mph huffy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belt drive for several reasons; #1 pulleys dont wear out as fast as sprockets do. #2 Oil dosent get flung all over you.#3 they dont bind and kink, #4 Quieter and safer. a belt gives if something gets caught in it.
#5 Reduces vibrations transfered from the engine and drive train. #6 Less strain on drive train components(free wheel, chain cogs ect jackshaft bearings) transmission gears. #6 Less rotating mass,Inertia and moment of inertia. Over all less maintenance,cost effectiveness, and parts availability, You can get a belt any where. Try getting a sprocket for a grubee @ ace hardware or home depot. When installed properly they wont slip in mud or anything

I really like your bike.
What size gears are you using on the jack shaft?
I've always toyed with the idea of the pocketbike engine build.
Those engines are better than a grubee anyway.
Did the tranny come with the motor, the one I looked at did, but I don't recall what size chain it used.
Anyway good job, very inspirational..
Tim

Thank you very much! If you are patient enough I an going to have a High quality belt drive kit in a few months. Whats there is just an experiment to see how the engine would perform. The chain drive is junk dont bother with it. too much maintenance. But most of the stuff I used is from a commercial garage door opener that had a 3 1/2 horse motor. The cranks, spindle, freewheel are from dax. All junk as far as im concerned.

The trans is x1 x2 x7. mini chopper. Its a dual chain inside. The bearings need to be changed with expensive high speed rubber sealed units the grease cleaned out and replaced with a few oz. of 90wt gear oil. just enough to keep the chain wet.If you do not do this dont expect a month out of it. the drive sprocket is a 12 tooth #40 or 1/2X1/8" for bicycle chain as are the rest??? Ill have to get back to you. I am assuming that a shifter kit would be close. I didnt go that route cause none of their cogs looked like they were hardened. The shafts too. I have over 3,000 mi on this set up. Must have gone thru 100 feet of chain already. 410 chain is too heavy and really dampens performance.

Keep blazing that new trail brother, we'll sit back and enjoy the ride.
You've got my interest all worked up.
Good luck!

This build was an experiment any way. The next one will have hydro dics. Gonna do a full faired sport bike next. Hek every one else is doin the chopper board tracker thing. Might as well represent us knee draggers. im probably gonna go liquid cooled Like a polini or something similar. Detonation is a big problem amongst air cooled engines here. Especially with up to 20% ethanol in the fuel .

I would suggest a front suspension fork , especially if your area has bad roads.

Polini engines have clutches larger than 76mm, which make them difficult to adapt to popular MB drive kits. I have a used air-cooled Polini that I'll use one day. It'll be VERY quick.

Video footage?

55+ and 65 MPH is incredible........ does anyone have video footage of it?... if not then **** I did 75 mph.

I've ridden this huffy! It's fast!

I've ridden this Huffy bike that Breuklyn is talking about. My engine is being re-built and he's let me use the Huffy as a loaner. I can personally attest to how ridiculously fast this thing is. It's got a 6 speed shifter that I've only managed to get to 4th gear in. It's scary fast, too fast for me. I've personally gone over 50mph on a straightaway, but I can't get up the nerve to go any faster. I'm 52 years old and I weigh 186 pounds. ALWAYS wear a helmet! I trust the equipment, but don't trust the other drivers around me. If I had a straight closed track, I would feel more comfortable about really opening this sick puppy up! Keep up the good work Breuklyn!:helmet:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back