5kW hub drive motor! (Washing machine DIY E-bike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god! That sounds amazing to me. It is a 365 watt engine, and I'm not sure if it will be enough (I'm a big dude)

Anyways. I was thinking, I'll use the sprocket I have leftover from my 49cc 2 stroke (it's 44 tooth) and weld on a sprocket to the motor. What size sprocket would I need if I'm planning the max speed for about 40km/h? This is a washing machine motor after all, and I'm not sure if it runs a lot of RPM's. It had a belt drive before.

And, that 2 hours is with the 2 batteries? I'll probably get one more of the same battery.

Is there any other way to squeeze a bit more power out? Can't rewire it, since it is closed with screws, that have no hole cut into them, so more like a nail. The magnets are kinda rusty on the outside too. And black (Not the powerful magnets really) I tried attaching a neodymium magnet (20 kg lift) on the outside on the magnet. Made no difference at all.

EDIT: This is an induction motor.

EDIT 2: Just realized that those 2 hours are the total, since both are powering it at the same time.

Last edited:
Power = torque * rpm what is the RPM on the motor? Do you really want to do this seems like a lot of work for something that might not work. What is the diameter of the drive shaft?

Listen, I have a 500W DC 24V electric motor with controller and throttle that I no longer need. I tried to use it one time for my generator build but went another route. I can sell it to you for cheap if you want + ship. Here it is. Take a look. No idea how to hook it up to a bike. You probably can run higher voltage for more torque/accel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/500-W-Watt...h=item4b4ecb1ae2:g:aNcAAOSwI~BbmjsB:rk:1:pf:0

Let me know if you are interested and we can work out a deal.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hello, and thanks for your input. I don't mind much work really, as I enjoy working on these as much as riding. Also good practice.

No idea on the RPM. Not stated on the label. It's an MCA 38/64 148 model. Website says 850 RPM.

I was either gonna use a 11 or 9 tooth sprocket on the motor, weld it on, but not sure. It'll not be fast! On the wheel it's a 44 tooth one.

I am actually planning on buying an 1800 watt motor from Ebay, sorry. It's not much more expensive than yours either. I'm sure you can sell it to someone. But I think, since there are lots of hills here, that would be on the weaker side for me. And I want to gear to have at least 40km/h speed. : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1800W-48...i-E-Scooter-Quad-Buggy-E-Bike-US/123595199537

Also, I calculated, that yours, according to the description (24 volts, 26.7 ampers) it's actually 640 watts.

How much would it hurt this motor to overvolt it by 12 volts? It would be ~2300 watts then.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hey forum!

So the drum of our old (like 8 year old at most) washing machine broke. So I took the chance, and took the engine out.

It's a 365 watt, 120 volt, 1.6 amper engine. I wired it up, and connected the positive and negative to a small battery I got for my headlight on my 2 stroke motorized bike.

It ran. Pretty fast. But! No torque. Like at all. If I hold onto it, it's very easy to stop it. How can I increase torque? Keep in mind, this is a pretty old engine. Was thinking to make a generator like a wind or something out of it at first, but gave that idea up.

The battery was a small, like palm sized, cubic lead acid battery. 12 volts, 5.5 amper hours. Fully charged.

Do I need more of these 12 volt batteries, and then wire them up like that, or, should I get a bigger 12 volt battery, with more amper hours? Should I rewire with more windings, or thicker copper wire? There's like a centimeter of air gap that I can maybe use up (Not quite sure if theres a reason behind having that)

I was thinking of getting more smaller batteries to reach that 120 volts.

Thanks in advance!
let me teach ya something about motors. Washing machine motors are AC induction motors. Induction motors have start capacitors, u must have them. To size the capacitor, u must use a formula or google it. Also... realized that DC will not turn the motor as its AC and u will need an inverter to convert to 120 or use some igbts to turn dc to ac and then use a microwave transformer and arrange the windings such that the ratio will yeild 120. OR use a gas generator to power it and the gen on a trailer. Also induction motors have little torque when rpm=0, they stall, so u will need some sort of clutch. Also the speed of a inductor motor can only be controlled with a variable frequency drive $300... Overall plz use a dc treadmill motor or dc motor of sorts.....
HERES WHAT I WOULD DO:
HF tailgator generator $90 dollars puts out 700watts continous.
DC MOTOR maybe about 1hp or whatever.
Full bridge rectifier turns the AC from the gen to DC. About 10$ from amazon. Get a 10amp 200v or whatever, they are really cheap.
Microwave transformer. Remove the 2 windings and put in a few loops of copper wire to get the step up to the nameplate voltage on the dc motor.
Get a pot such as some weed or rather a potentialmeter to control the speed. Simply lower the voltage to lower the speed and vise versa to increase.
Enjoy a bike that can break all laws as its considered an ebike despite being supped up and running of a gen. Also enjoy its unlimitied range much better power and the fact that u saved 300 dollars in batteries.

For some reason i think motors are really cool. I am the only 16 y/o in the world who thinks so. Enjoy these motor startup sounds.

Last edited:
Hello, and thanks for your input. I don't mind much work really, as I enjoy working on these as much as riding. Also good practice.

No idea on the RPM. Not stated on the label. It's an MCA 38/64 148 model. Website says 850 RPM.

I was either gonna use a 11 or 9 tooth sprocket on the motor, weld it on, but not sure. It'll not be fast! On the wheel it's a 44 tooth one.

I am actually planning on buying an 1800 watt motor from Ebay, sorry. It's not much more expensive than yours either. I'm sure you can sell it to someone. But I think, since there are lots of hills here, that would be on the weaker side for me. And I want to gear to have at least 40km/h speed. : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1800W-48...i-E-Scooter-Quad-Buggy-E-Bike-US/123595199537

Also, I calculated, that yours, according to the description (24 volts, 26.7 ampers) it's actually 640 watts.

How much would it hurt this motor to overvolt it by 12 volts? It would be ~2300 watts then.

Make sure you research how to mount this on the bike before buying similar to mine. Also, look for a freewheel sprocket for the engine shaft it will help make the bike rideable without power. Overvolting by 12V to 50V(52V) is very common and should be fine. Yeah, make sure you plan it all out before buying the motor. Obviously, you need a controller and throttle too.

let me teach ya something about motors. Washing machine motors are AC induction motors. Induction motors have start capacitors, u must have them. To size the capacitor, u must use a formula or google it. Also... realized that DC will not turn the motor as its AC and u will need an inverter to convert to 120 or use some igbts to turn dc to ac and then use a microwave transformer and arrange the windings such that the ratio will yeild 120. OR use a gas generator to power it and the gen on a trailer. Also induction motors have little torque when rpm=0, they stall, so u will need some sort of clutch. Also the speed of a inductor motor can only be controlled with a variable frequency drive $300... Overall plz use a dc treadmill motor or dc motor of sorts.....
HERES WHAT I WOULD DO:
HF tailgator generator $90 dollars puts out 700watts continous.
DC MOTOR maybe about 1hp or whatever.
Full bridge rectifier turns the AC from the gen to DC. About 10$ from amazon. Get a 10amp 200v or whatever, they are really cheap.
Microwave transformer. Remove the 2 windings and put in a few loops of copper wire to get the step up to the nameplate voltage on the dc motor.
Get a pot such as some weed or rather a potentialmeter to control the speed. Simply lower the voltage to lower the speed and vise versa to increase.
Enjoy a bike that can break all laws as its considered an ebike despite being supped up and running of a gen. Also enjoy its unlimitied range much better power and the fact that u saved 300 dollars in batteries.

For some reason i think motors are really cool. I am the only 16 y/o in the world who thinks so. Enjoy these motor startup sounds.

Hello!
I know they are AC induction motors, I said it somewhere else in a different thread. Now, these motors in Europe need 240 volt, not 120. Also, they are universal, and run off of DC too, wich I have tested with a 12 volt battery, It's running fine.

I'm not going to get a generator, because I have a charger at home, and wouldn't really ride for long, and I can come home, and charge it. I would get one, but, I don't have that much space on the bicycle.

Anyways. I'm scrapping this project, as I'm getting an 1800w, 48 volt, gokart engine, that has a stand-like thing, that I wanted to weld on the rack on the back, or in the middle of the bike (Over the pedals somewhere)

I was thinking lead acid batteries first, but they are big. Not sure yet. I wanted to order a li-ion battery pack from ebay, 48 volt ones, for 37.5 amper engines, are quite expensive. Like 2 months of pay for a person here. And I don't have a job, as I'm in school.
Then I thought, I'll get induvidual cells, from Germany, (Close to me, and probably good quality) and get a solder, and make it myself. I read, that I also need a charge control thingy. IDK how those work, so yeah.

Make sure you research how to mount this on the bike before buying similar to mine. Also, look for a freewheel sprocket for the engine shaft it will help make the bike rideable without power. Overvolting by 12V to 50V(52V) is very common and should be fine. Yeah, make sure you plan it all out before buying the motor. Obviously, you need a controller and throttle too.

Thank you!

I looked at the pictures, it would fit my bicycle rack. I could weld it on permamently, since I have a replacement rack, and I could just switch it. I was thinking of welding on the sprocket to both the wheel, and the engine. And then 415 chain from 2 stroke motorized bicycle kit.

If I just disconnect the wires, it would spin more freely, no? A freewheel. Hmm. I'll see what I can do. It's one of those old cruiser bikes, like 20 years old, that have no shift, and are really hard to pedal at low speeds.

Would a dimmable light switch be OK for a throttle? Or should I look into making one DIY?

The controller is for the speed, right? If I have a throttle that limits voltage, that should be fine, wouldn't need a controller right?

About the overvolting. It's 48 volts, so if I overvolt by 12 volts, it'd be 60 volts. And about 2250 watts.

I think I'm going to go with buying Li-ion cells, and making the battery myself. I'm going to buy 16x 3.6 volt, 2600 mah cells. That would put it at 41.6 amper hours. And since the engine is 37.5 ampers, I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing that it will be over an hour ride time.

I think I'm going to go with buying Li-ion cells, and making the battery myself. I'm going to buy 16x 3.6 volt, 2600 mah cells. That would put it at 41.6 amper hours. And since the engine is 37.5 ampers, I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing that it will be over an hour ride time.
That's 42 amps but only at 3.6 volts. In a series volts go up but amps stay the same. When wired in parallel amps go up but volts stay the same. I use different lithium batteries for various RC stuff but went with agm batteries for my wife's e bike. They were $15 bucks each. Her bike is 36 volt so there are three of them on there and they are 12amp capacity. I was told they wouldn't work well but they actually work awesome. I haven't fully discharged them but I've went 15 miles on a single charge and still had power left.

Oh and if your talking about the little round lithium batteries, well, when they explode they look like about 1/4 of a hand grenade going off. That's what steered me away from those lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back