6.5HP Bicycle Pusher Trailer

How many miles were on your engine (estimate) before oil seal started leaking?

Where is the oil seal located at?

Do you know the cause? Over revving, running on low oil, etc?

Sorry to hear about your bike.

For the clutch I'd recommend the Max Torque clutch (because of the cheapness of it.... I got mine for $25. I know you used a cheaper clutch and it wore out quick, but I think that was due to your gearing. Based on your gear ratios, your clutch was not fully engaged until 30mph.... that is a lot os slipping for the clutch.

With your gearing now it would be fully engaged by 20mph (you also had a 2:1 ratio, now you have a 3:1 ratio). With your current gear ratio you shouldn't be slipping it that much.

I pedal to 8-10 mph then I engage the clutch so I can feel it slightly slipping from 10-20mph.

Obviously if you can fix your clutch for cheap you have a much better clutch though.

Macarollo, What Clutch are you using and how long has it lasted? Im debating one which one to get for my commuter, probably 360 miles a month.

I have the Max Torque clutch. I have only put about 80 miles on my engine though.

I pedal to 10mph then I use the throttle... I have never tried to accelerate from a stand still... I think that would wear out the clutch faster too.

If you have the engine geared lower (3:1, 4:1, etc) the clutch will be slipping for a shorter period of time. I think anything less higher (<3:1... for example 2:1) would be way too much strain on one of these clutches... at 2:1 the clutch will not fully engage until around 30mph. I have 3:1 and it full engages at 20mph.... so it slips for 10mph.

I imagine that my clutch would last a while, but I haven't put on tons of miles to have an accurate guess.

The main reason I bought this clutch was to keep the cost down. I wanted the better clutch, but I had already spent a lot.... I figured at $25 it is not a huge loss if it does break.

Back