Engine Trouble 66cc 2-stroke engine bogging? help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm dint think of the exhaust! but ive tried to open it before and it seems to be welded shut ?

Sounds like you are four stroking....hope this helps: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=27872

Maybe? But I watched a video on another thread and it demonstrated an engine four stroking, it
Kinda sounds like it's hitting a re limiter almost? But now mi bike sounds like it's just bogging, and loosing rpms and power, I'm to rich I think, but now I'm also worried about the pipe?

read that thread.....it covers alot that you have mentioned. Then scroll to the bottom and you will find related links.

Just pull the muffler off and go for a ride. :devilish: If the problem is gone then you know where to look. Just don't try it at 2am. :eek: As for it being welded, you would see weld beads on the outside of the end cap. Mine clogged up after 100's of miles. I found myself holding the bike at WOT not even realizing it. Bike would max out about 20 mph. Mine had 2 screws in it and still even after removing them I had to fight with it to get it out. I ended up busting the little 1 inch tip off and screwing a course threaded bolt into the little hole, clamping it in a vise and beating the bolt with a hammer in an away from the muffler fashion.....I don't know how to explain it. After I got it out I just drilled a few holes through the baffle plate, it made the bike louder but I've not had the problem in over 2000 miles since. 4-stroking could be the problem. However!! A 4-stroking 2-stroke is caused from running too rich. (Too much fuel not enough air) In theory, my brain says that a clogged exhaust would limit an engines air intake and cause a richer running engine. And not only that, when my muffler gummed up my bike began 4 stroking at times. But your bike has only 80 miles on it.....that's like 4 hrs run time or so. The exhaust shouldn't really be dirty yet. Once again, I am not a mechanic. My theories are only theory's.......:-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by geebt48cc:

I took base of muffler off.....................................WOW, 2/3 power gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~ WooHoo, for a big 49cc.......................................

Will climb any HILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~

I really wish you would take the time to read the threads people direct you to. Kind of an etiquette thing. It is along the same lines as searching before posting to prevent duplicate content.

thanks for all your help! man i tried 50:1 and the guy came like 20 minutes ago. the bike has never run as good as it did! he was happy we agreed on $400. sad to see it go but it was time.

fix

check your jet in your carby could be loose and could be old fuel

Check your motor mounts! I was loosing top end power also. The bike, (HT 48cc), would build up good speed until the higher rpm's and die, then picking back up in the middle range. I noticed a daily decrease of a mile or two. I gradually went from 30+ to 22mph, even as I was investigating the following remedies;

I tightened the intake system, cleaned the carb, changed jets, adjusted the c-clip, adjusted the prongs in the carb bowl, installed a new fuel filter, ran a little SeaFoam, vented the tank, installed a new plug, and flushed the exhaust. Nothing! Then I noticed that the motor had a slight shake to it while I was removing the plug again. The engine hardware was not tight anymore so I carefully snugged the motor mounts. The only other thing that I did was spray a little wd40 behind the magneto cover, cdi wire input, (very little), and inside the spark plug wire cap. I did this to drive out any possible moisture that may have entered and compromised a good connection. I then took it for a test ride. She hit a nice top speed again right away! I was just about to give up. (Not really). I am leaning toward loose motor mounts as the cause of the loss of WOT power and strange engine behaviour. Just my 2cents. I hope this helps someone out there having this type of trouble. Good luck.

At least now I have a spare carb, magneto, cdi and plug cap on the way, which I ordered before I found the fix. :geek:

Last edited:
Cool. ive seen a lot of threads with trouble like that. Makes sense to me. No telling what kind of froth was building up in the carb bowl. That could shut a motor down by itself. Locktite should stop that from happening. or at least help out. If your getting over 30 from the small ht thats pretty good. what is on those handlebars anyhow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back