Engine Trouble 66cc/80cc Stock engine will not idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
once started, doesn't it run when you turn the throttle while clutch is locked out? that's when you should stop with it running and adjust idle screw

No when the engine starts to run, if I even grab the clutch even while holding the throttle the engine stalls instantly. From the moment I first had the engine it's never idled. That's my reason for posting... The slightest movement of the clutch instantly kills the engine.

Last edited:
And hitting the throttle while trying to get the engine to kick into gear unless it's already been running will lower the rpm's where it will almost stall the engine. Regardless of where the choke is... And the choke isn't locked up, cause when moving the lever you can hear the difference and feel it.

Last edited:
I suspect it isn't really running, just being dragged along by you pedaling - do the compression test.

I suspect it isn't really running, just being dragged along by you pedaling - do the compression test.

What do you mean by isn't really running? And it'll kick into gear, just takes a great deal of effort to kick in. Once it kicks over, it'll run smoothly without pedalling at all topping out at 35 mph.

nothing here makes sense - I don't know what "kick into gear" means, and if it will run 35mph, why can't you hold throttle while adjusting idle screw

My engine is running on a rich a/f mixture, so it four strokes (misses every other stroke) a lot... Unless I'm accelerating hard or climbing a steep hill. Then it four strokes much less.
Load makes it run smoother, lack of load makes it missfire.
Could the engine actually "no stroke" due to the complete absence of load when the clutch is pulled, if it is being run very very rich?

Agreed If you cant pull in the clutch lever after it's running and keep it running then something is very wrong.I can see your forward momentum helping to keep it running but then that could mean that the cylinder is worn out and not able to run on it's own or and I'm leaning more towards this is that it's to tight due to debris from ? stuck between the piston and cylinder making it to hard to rotate on it's own at low rpm.When trying to kickstart if you put the piston just past tdc it shouldn't take that much effort to turn it over.And if the bike rolls fine with the clutch locked out then it's not drive line related.

Perhaps all the "no stroking" has caused liquid fuel to pool in the crankcase and the loss of compressible crankcase volume is the resistance being felt during startup attempts.
Like the way topping up the oil level in an open oil bath fork makes it ramp up (more progressive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back