66cc Engine & a Walmart bike.... Help!

s_beaudry

Local time
8:48 AM
My push trailer seems kinda lonely in the garge by herself.....

So... I went on Ebay and bought a 66cc kit last night for the experience of doing one myself. How the wife hates when I head out to the garage, or use my laptop!

I want to buy an inexpensive bike from my local Walmart, but I want to make sure it will fit well.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive Walmart bike that they know will accomodate a 66cc engine setup?

All help very much appreciated!

Steve

HI,

I have used Wal Mart's silver colored "Roadmaster" mountain bike....Tight fit but will work with a little tweaking to the air filter cover (removing the little tubes that aim downward...use a hack saw or bench grinder (what I used)....will have to drill the down tube (since it is over sized)....or peen the tube thinner so the stock studs straddle the frame (what I did)....I think I had to file the rear engine mount a tad also....

Good Luck!

Andrew

Thank you for that answer.... $60 is a heak of a deal on that bike!

Any Walmart or Target bikes that need no modification to the engine or bike?

Steve I just built a schwinn from target I think it was the jaguar 7spd. Seem to work great. The only think I have to do is use the larger bike frame mount and just drill the one hole in the front frame.

Bikejunkie...

Thank you, and you have a PM!

Can't find a Schwinn Jaguar, maybe goes by a different name?

Thank you, Steve

Steve I just built a schwinn from target I think it was the jaguar 7spd. Seem to work great. The only think I have to do is use the larger bike frame mount and just drill the one hole in the front frame.

I built mine on the Jaguar from Target also. 500 miles and still goin strong. Added light and dual kickstand and dual pull brake handle. At my Target they still have the Jaguar but it is not in their online site.

Toys R Us has a low priced mountain bike that should work....About $70...I haven't tried a build on it yet BUT our local Wal Mart no longer carries the bike I mentioned earlier, so I will
be switching over soon....

Andrew

Although I typically will not recommend department store bikes, if you must for safety's sake get a bike that has aluminum rims, cast aluminum V-Brakes, and cast aluminum brake levers.

Aluminum rims are stronger than the cheap steel rims.
V-Brakes offer the best braking possible for rim brakes.
Plastic should never be used for critical braking components.
(I've serviced bikes where the user broke plastic levers off just pulling the brakes.)

As always finding a used Trek, Specialized, or similar bike shop brand bike at a garage sale, thrift store, or CraigsList ad would be a much better choice.

Back