Engine Trouble 66cc Engine won't consistently pop, won't work well unless at downhill

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by AshOnABike, Jan 1, 2017.

1. AshOnABike

AshOnABike New Member

My friend gave me his 66cc (dissasembled, I had to replace the rings and put it together) engine kit and bike for $40, but the engine will only fire powerfully 1 in every 5 or 6 strokes. I feel the engine jolting me forward every successful pop but it's not consistent. I cant even ride on completely flat land unless I pedal and even the smallest incline will kill my engine. I also weigh 200lb if that has anything to do with it.

<
  2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

will it idle properly? does oil show up around head gasket?

3. AshOnABike

AshOnABike New Member

Nope won't idle. All gaskets are secure. I think it's a problem with the AF mixture as lots of unburnt fuel comes out of the exhaust. Have you any idea on how to fix this?

4. Street Ryderz

Street Ryderz Well-Known Member

Have you checked that the spark is constant and that all wiring is correct and grounded well!

5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

my first guess would be motor full of fuel from having petcock turned on when motor was not running (smokes a LOT when running, runs weak - has to be kept running for quite a while to clear out) - less common, is that I've had two guys come to the shop last month with NTTC carbs with chokes that had come loose & stayed on all the time (open filter & check nut that holds choke plate to lever) - rare, is main jet fell out or slide needle fell in)

Nate888 likes this.
  6. sp1ke

sp1ke Member

my first thoughts are

timeing is it out ? key at 1 o clock when tdc right way up not 11 o clock
    or just far out of place

and have ports or piston been altered?

or an airleak

over or under fueling isues at carb

7. Corey l criss sr

Corey l criss sr New Member

........fyi. change your megnet and you cdi. Your clutch is one knocth to tight.