66cc, picking a starter engine

Rusty_S85

Local time
4:39 AM
Well I am still not fully decided if I want to mod my engine before break in or break it in first them make changes. But I do want to hotrod this engine for my project for more power.

In the mean time I am looking at the following engines I found online and want to get other peoples opinion on them and what they thought of them if they purchased one of them

First off is the stock GT5 Grubee engine which I can pick up for $135 from numerous places.

Second is the Advanced Race-Ready 66CC engine from bicycle motor works for $330. This here would be changed quite a bit as it doesn't have the head I really want to run nor the Nikumi 18mm carb.

Third HelioBikes sells a upgraded 66cc engine that is claimed to have a one piece factory balanced crank with sealed bearings. Its a kit that costs $180.

Fourth is from Jakes I keep looking at his built engines. Thought of buying his Hawk GT5 which you can get modified for extra money.

In the end what does everyone think? I never did 2 stroke hot rodding before but I am doing my reading to possibly try modifying the cylinder myself but I would like to at least get something that if I don't feel comfortable with would be a good base for bolt on parts.

due to lack of quality control in the factories, I always recommend building it and making sure all is well before modding - then, make one change at a time so you know what failed if it fails

due to lack of quality control in the factories, I always recommend building it and making sure all is well before modding - then, make one change at a time so you know what failed if it fails

That's what I was thinking but for me I could go with the GT5 Grubee engine which ive heard is good out of the box or go with the HelioBikes engine which is said to have a better one piece factory balanced crank. Price wise they are not much difference.

All the cranks are press fit on the big end. Their is no such thing as a 1 piece crank. A long time ago they made engines with weights bolted to the crank and I'm guessing this is what they are referring to. the The rod has no cap to make a 1 piece crank possible. Nearly all the engines out there now are factory balanced which better than they used to be but not really balanced like one from a custom shop.

folks that say any of these is 'good out of the box' haven't opened enough boxes

Ok, well if I were to look into getting a properly balanced engine from a custom shop where would I look? Seems like everything I find is a straight up race engine for $500+. I cant justify that. I ideally would like to get just a balanced crank and swap it over myself but no one offers that either.

THanks I never came across that site. I could see myself spending around $300 - $350 for an engine for this. I mean after all I have close to $1000 in the bike now and its still not finished.

I will have to shoot him a message and ask some questions as I live in Texas so summers are around 100 - 105 degrees so I was looking at Jake`s Diamond head as it has more beef and cooling fins which should help with raising compression as well as helping with cooling.

Also need to ask as I am looking at a two piece long exhaust. But if I do end up going this route I see his page says he recommends a 30 to 36 tooth drive sprocket. I currently have a 44T as I bought it from Grubee that's all he had. I did find another place how ever that will custom make Grubee style sprockets in any tooth I want but I have to find that site again as apparently my bookmark never saved.

THanks I never came across that site. I could see myself spending around $300 - $350 for an engine for this. I mean after all I have close to $1000 in the bike now and its still not finished.

I will have to shoot him a message and ask some questions as I live in Texas so summers are around 100 - 105 degrees so I was looking at Jake`s Diamond head as it has more beef and cooling fins which should help with raising compression as well as helping with cooling.

Also need to ask as I am looking at a two piece long exhaust. But if I do end up going this route I see his page says he recommends a 30 to 36 tooth drive sprocket. I currently have a 44T as I bought it from Grubee that's all he had. I did find another place how ever that will custom make Grubee style sprockets in any tooth I want but I have to find that site again as apparently my bookmark never saved.
If you talk to Fred at crmachine and explain your needs he will build to suit and have a lot of valuable input

Back