66cc Skyhawk idling like crazy!

Apachekid

Local time
8:57 AM
I've got 66cc engine with expansion chamber. Been running perfect since I finally broke it in last month. with 36T get up to 32-34mph. Last couple days have developed air leak which I cannot find. Idles like crazy when I take choke off. Have stock crappy intake gasket which I resealed with permatex. Have O-ring for intake on carb, it looks ok. Checked carb cap on top. No O-ring, but I never had one. Replaced head gasket, checked gear box gasket, magnito gasket
looks ok. didn't replace bottom head gasket-don't have one-took apart carb, cleaned it up. everthing looks ok. Was very careful not to crossthread top cap on carb. Air cleaner slim profile from SBP, looks ok. WHERE is my air leak????I got no oil leaks anywhere, just crazy high idle. Can anybody help?:cry:

Last edited:
Welcome to Motoredbikes. Make sure the throttle cable has slack, how does it run after warm -other than the high idle?

66 skyhawk still high idling, even after warmup, but not as bad. It calms down to just a high idle. Idle screw back off about 4 turns.still think i got air leak. Started up this morning with full choke to idle high. tool off choke it runs way up, so I shut it down

Did you see if there is slack?
Spray around the carb with wiper fluid or wd40 while the engine is running and listen for a tone change- it will change tone when you hit an air leak. Or get a stethescope and go around the carb and area going to the cylinder- listen for a leak.

66cc Skyhawk

Update to the Prof.....Checked throttle for slack,ok. Tore down carb again. canned crappy stock intake gasket cut one out of cereal box,Permatex it down, let it set overnight..BINGO! no more air leak. Just ran it 34mph and came back to perfect idle. Got better gaskets ordered. Here's a tip..get rid of stock intake gaskets..they just dissolve. My engine is new, only 10 or 11 tanks and I'm running on a Post Toasties gasket! Thanks for the help! Best site for tech support I've ever seen.

What about that little Honda mini 4stroke that Spookytooth sells. Anyone hear anything good about it? Looks like a lot less maintenance than 2stroke, to me anyway. Dont know about more power!

Back