7 cop cars and 8 officers for riding an electric bicycle without a windshield.

cops suck
"serve and protect", yeah right
they serve and protect The System (which is the haves ruling over the have-nots)

Yes, the system is self-propagating. Cops are really following training and rote response behaviors. Not thinking. The system does all it can to crush and and all hopes of cheap, efficient transportation for all.

The guy in the video could have avoided a lot of the issues he encountered by simply carrying the statutes which say what he has is a motorized bicycle instead of a moped. When you start getting irate with cops they're going to call for back up. Way to many crazies out there. One can also pull these statutes up on smart phones. I feel this guy just did this to get some attention. Which it seems to have worked.

Cops don't know every law detail for detail. This is why carrying these laws can help in a situations like his. Instead of telling them how stupid they are. Perhaps if he had given a little more respect he would have gotten more. We've got way to many riders here from Arizona who say they've never had a problem there.

If this guy had been talking respectfully to them and trying show them the laws but they were being rude I'd be more on his side. Seems to be he just did that for attention.

Riding a bicycle on roadways is a federal right. Riding a motorized bicycle is also a federal right. Here is a link to federal bicycle law suggested to be carried when riding a electric bike:

http://www.iloveebikes.com/Distributorfiles/FEDregulation.pdf

It is still a bicycle under federal law even if the state wants to call it a moped. Federal law prevails subject to federal commission regulations. I would take that to mean, in my opinion, it would be up to a federal commission to decide if states have the authority to require insurance on low speed motor assisted bicycles or any bicycle for that matter. It does not appear to me that the commission has given states the authority to require licenses or insurance to ride bicycles. In what I have read or heard of, there is no engine size distinction such as 48 cc at the federal commission level; only a horsepower level less than 1 horsepower. There is more than one way to rate horsepower. There is no distinction given between input and output horsepower. In doing the math; the stock 66cc HT creates about 1/6 of 1 horsepower based on pulling power. There is no distinction given if a 750 watt motor limit is rated at input or output. If a motorized bicycle engine truly created 1 horsepower of pulling power in output you could put wings and a propeller on it and fly it like a airplane.

There is room to challenge state over reach of federal law. The 20 mph limit need to be observed to have federal protection; I won't argue that. An Illinois appellate court decision further defines the 20 mph to be in addition to the speed the bike was traveling when the motor took over, creating a allowable speed in excess of 20 mph. State have to allow at least 20 mph power assisted by federal law.

Back