72V 3000W Cyclone Electric and Gas Generator Build (SBP kit) - Three Phase Dev

I don't know how you put that bike together for so little! Just the electric parts of my parallel hybrid (in progress) cost over $1000, and I still haven't bought the hardware I'll need for mounting the batteries and chargers yet. 😰

The batteries are the budget 36V 4.4aH scooter batteries in parallel and series. Its a major price reduction from a traditional DIY ebike build, but I do not recommend them for a high performance build. They are decent for the average ebike speeds of 20-25mph and occasionally a speed thrill. I bought the cruiser bike on eBay and it will be here on Friday.

I've been doing some low key budget on this stuff; want to make this cruiser bike look a little better and presentable to average people so hoping you guys give me feedback on if it looks like crap when the fairings and covers are on it. The current bike is definitely Mad Max style with the generator on the side, wires everywhere, charger/controllers everywhere, and general just bad aesthetics. The cruiser redesign will hopefully look nice with a Ducati Panigale coloring scheme (red, white, green).

I don't know how you put that bike together for so little! Just the electric parts of my parallel hybrid (in progress) cost over $1000, and I still haven't bought the hardware I'll need for mounting the batteries and chargers yet. 😰

also, any pics and design diagrams of this hybrid. I am interested in how you are doing it.

also, any pics and design diagrams of this hybrid. I am interested in how you are doing it.
I'll post a thread when I have something to show. Batteries are still being built.

If the silent running mode is just for towns, then a series hybrid can recharge between every town; but a parallel hybrid could need to get through several towns before being able to recharge from the mains, so it requires a larger battery pack and/or lower speed in its silent running mode.

well... ive had a series of issues with this bike. ive initiated an email/complaint to the ebay seller. the derailleur arm was bent so it was literally ramming the derailleur into the spokes. :mad: took me a while to hammer it reasonably straight such that it shifts atleast 2-5 gears without ramming into the spokes. also, then i tried to remove the pedal cranks and the threads got stripped. i am not sure if i can remove the bottom bracket and cranks now without destroying them (thin metal on pedal crank; if I hammer it I fear I will screw it up). i mean i can try to remove the other side (non sprocket side) can i then pull it through the sprocket side? Ive begun taking the generator out of the plastic shell and just need to cut some plastics on one of the sides, remove a couple screws and nuts, and I think it should be come out just fine.

Here are my thoughts on this so far...

1. Bring it to the bike shop and see if they can remove the stupid pedals and BB then put the Cyclone on it

or

1. Sell the 72V 3000W Cyclone
2. Put on the 36V 500W rear hub for now
3. Buy a 1000W rear hub motor with 500wH battery
4. Apparently, the 72V charger I have can be changed into a lower voltage charger via a few dials

edit

also, if for some reason it does not fit in the frame, which I think it should easily disassembled. I will but it on the rear rack and use the big space for placement of batteries or more batteries.

Attachments

• 20170126_173544A.jpg
    20170126_173544A.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 20170126_173550A.jpg
    20170126_173550A.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Removing crank arms from the square taper without using the threads in the crank arms will be difficult.. Perhaps it can be done with a gear puller. :unsure:
I have done it with a hammer, crank arms wrapped in rags.. but it was not fun and definitely not a good idea (I didn't really care about that particular bike).
They need to be pulled straight, really. Hammering on the crank arm close to the BB just doesn't do that. 😕

Removing crank arms from the square taper without using the threads in the crank arms will be difficult.. Perhaps it can be done with a gear puller. :unsure:
I have done it with a hammer, crank arms wrapped in rags.. but it was not fun and definitely not a good idea (I didn't really care about that particular bike).
They need to be pulled straight, really. Hammering on the crank arm close to the BB just doesn't do that. 😕

Yeah, I was going to take it to the bike shop for them to take a look at it for like $20-30 but then I tried prepping the Cyclone for the transfer and its too far rusted to take out. The cranks wont come off and threads are just shot now. I did it properly too; its just too rusted from water intrusion. Yep, remember that stupid plastic cap on the pedal bolts. Now I know what they are for :ROFLMAO: And, even if I did get the pedal cranks off. I am sure that bottom bracket is rusted shut too.

So, I am just gonna put the 500W gearless hub motor on there for now and buy an upgraded (22 to 36A) controller for it and might upgrade to a 72V gearless hub later. I will have to adjust that 420W charger, which apparently there are small dials inside to adjust the voltage and amperage. I need to test it out and hope I dont fry it or electrocute myself before hooking it all up. I will just sell the Cyclone mountain bike after cleaning it up a bit or keep it.

Have 3 days off so hoping to

1. Document and disconnect all electric wires from engine today
2. Complete the mount for the engine tomorrow
3. Test the generator in the bike frame and permanently mount the batteries the day after

Here is a picture of the generator disassembled. It is interesting and the engine/design is different from our HuaSheng. It seems it is an engine specifically designed to be used as a generator. NOTE NOTE, THE PULL CORD IS FRONT TO BACK AND NOT ON SIDE. IT LOOKS LIKE THE HS-142F IN THIS PICTURE BUT THAT PULL CORD WHITE HOUSING IS FRONT OR BACK NOT SIDE... :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_140710.jpg
    IMG_20190623_140710.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
All it takes is an extra pulley in the pull start housing to change the pull direction. It does look very similar to the huasheng 49cc. You should do minor mods to the engine to increase efficiency and power without lowering mpg much, such as a port/polish and adjust the valve lash. Get a stronger ngk spark plug, a free flowing exhaust and air filter. Ok, you might have to upjet, but the engine won't have to rev as high to get the same power output.

OMG, I put a quick battery setup on the 500W rear hub and it is soooooo SLOW. I am emailing Paul now. I think I can salvage the Cyclone motor from that catastrophe of a bottom bracket and pedal cranks. If I can buy that and the bike shop can remove the current bottom bracket I can salvage this. Ughhh, otherwise I have to pray that upgraded 1000W controller will make me faster than a granny on a single speed...................................... 😫

Back