72V 3000W Cyclone Electric and Gas Generator Build (SBP kit) - Three Phase Dev

Here is staton's homemade generator
0305-2.jpg

0305-5.jpg

Well, I dun fooked up. I had the generator put together after sometime. I did mess up by using just two mount points for the 25cc gas engine initially as I thought the coupling to the generator would stabilize it. But eventually I put a third mount point and it actually had minimal vibrations for that engine. The only issue I saw was that I had to manually spin the coupling to get the engine to start rotating the generator as a 25cc engine did not have enough power to overcome the inertia of a 500W generator. BUT THEN... the stupid pull cord broke. The design of this weedwacker engine means I have to literally take apart the entire engine. I tried putting it back together after fixing the cord but I can't seem to get the pull cord shaft part right. So, that is where I am at atm.

I still want to do a generator build but am considering options if I cannot fix the weedwacker engine this weekend. Here are the options that I thought of below. I am kinda leaning towards 3 since I mean I am kinda reinventing the wheel with this gas engine to generator setup and 3 allows me to do fast charging. But, it is 35 lbs... Also, I am really liking the speed and acceleration at 72V over 36V. If I drop back to 36V its gonna be 30 mph max after some time getting there.

What do you guys think?

1. Buy another 25cc engine but then would probably be stuck at 36V and I don't like the pull cord replacement design at all
2. Buy a Powerhouse 500WI. This is the smallest generator available and I actually found a seller. It is discontinued item so it is rare and he wants a hefty premium of $245 for it. Size is just right 22lb and 13"x8"x14". But, with this I wont be able to use a fast charger just a typical 2-3A one.
3. Buy a 2 stroke .9-1.1kW generator which is around $105-110. Cost is about right but profile is 13"x13"x15" and 35lbs. This will also let me use a fast charger in the future or have the possibility of swapping out chargers amps for different charging riding situations
4. Buy a 38cc HS engine with a better design and which I can also use as friction drive incase generator build fails again
5. Buy a 49cc HS engine which I am very familiar with and that can be a friction drive and also go towards documenting the reverse engine HS-142F build on another bike

Okay, I am a total friggin idiot. I bought the wrong charger and so this is gonna be delayed another week. I think what happened was that I got confused by the way CHINA labels their output and how AMERICA does it. Some of the sellers were doing the CHINA way and others the AMERICA way. So, I ended up buying a 84V nominal charger even though the label saids OUTPUT = 84V3A. I caught this because I checked it with my multimeter and it read 97V and I was LIKE WAHHhhhh DAaaa Feekkkk... So, I got another one where the output reads 72V3A... what the hell is this labeling.

I was gonna wait to do a level ground test of the generator, charger, and everything connected before starting the mount for the bike. But, that is just gonna take too long so I will make the mount while I wait for the new charger. Here is my plan. I am going to mount it to the seatstay and chainstay tube on the left hand side of the bike as pictured below. I think this will be okay as it is only 22LB dry and 25LB wet.

The mount will be made of treated wood and have 3 level of redundancy to make sure it is strong enough to support the generator through any bumps and potholes. It will be attach by two heavy duty L brackets, supporting arm, and multiple screws (best position). And, the base will be supported by a 1x2 on the bottom. It will attach to the seatstay chainstay tube via u bolts or hose clamps as pictured below. I was thinking about mounting the generator via the four bolt holes below it but they do not look like weight bearing bolts (just for small rubber legs). Instead, I will just use ratchet straps for now.

Let me know if you for see this blowing up on me. If the generator falls off at 30 mph, it is going to literally explode in the road... Also, this is just a proof of concept / prototype, if all the numbers come out right I will show you guys my long term final idea. :)

Attachments

• 5b70788e58554a9b95cc959940ecbb2b.jpg
    5b70788e58554a9b95cc959940ecbb2b.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 287
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 265
So, hopefully the right charger is coming tomorrow, I have all the wires and connectors. I am going to do an on the ground test of the entire system = batteries, charger, and gas generator while motor is running. The actually mounting will probably be another week before I am comfortable taking it on the road. But, here it is in this video. NOTE, I do not have the diagonal support to complete the triple redundant support yet. Let me know if you think this is gonna fail and generator will fall off and blow up. BTW, smoking cars to 40 mph is fookin fun. :sneaky:

Just realized the cat is going nuts in the back. Wants to come out in garage to fook with me while I am working... 😫

Last edited:
DERP... It is all together but the generator needs a 3 prong AC charger and the 72V charger I got is 2 prong and does not work. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that I can buy to make this work? The generator works with my 3 prong 36V charger. I mean I am going to have to return yet another charger ... :ROFLMAO:

Err, I think I know what is going on. The 2 prong tools work in the generator but the problem is that the charger is 110-240V 1.5A input into a 84V 3A output. That is 252W and the generator is only 120V which at 1.5A is 180W so cant power the charger (has 800W potential though). The charger works in a regular house plug.

Is there anything I can do? Is there an adapter to change 120VAC to 240VAC? Or, do I have to find a 72V charger that takes only 120VAC or less...

There sounds like a loose screw inside. Might be defective...

Last edited:
Yeah, and the plug prongs are the same; usually one is bigger than the other for a two prong plug. With this plug, it can go either way into the house socket and work. As I mentioned before, there is something loose inside like a screw or something. Here is what I need to figure out.

Should I exchange it for another or refund it? (if its defective then exchange)
Should I get one of those 110V to 220V adapters? If the generator just isnt pushing enough VOLTS for the charger? such as below
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Brig...m25e9571820:g:2I8AAOSwBkRaSEFT&frcectupt=true

I really hope I dont have to go back to 36V...

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 214
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back