72V 3000W Cyclone Electric and Gas Generator Build (SBP kit) - Three Phase Dev

So, I got the same 72V3A charger (diff seller) and it had the same damn noise when I got it. But, I opened it and removed the two small metal bits and it actually worked with the generator. So, now I am at 240W charging from 160W charging on a 800W generator. Here are the results. I was really hoping to hit the 100 miles at 20 mph continuous (flat, no wind, 1000 wH battery). But I think the wind picked up on last lap of 20 mph run; its about to storm hard here. But, I'll not redo the 20 mph test. 15 mph looks good as hell; 185 mile range + 229 mpg. So, it looks I need that 5A (420W) charger to easily hit 100 miles at 20 mph and hopefully 80 miles at 25 mph from a full battery (~1000 wH).

Guys, I need some input. This is suppose to be a hybrid - good pieces from both electric and gas and as few of the bad pieces as possible. Right now, I am a slower person so I think 100 miles at 20 mph is a decent goal (1000wH battery). But, I mean how does a hybrid have to perform for you to consider building it. This is also a proof of concept and actual hybrid would have an inframe generator and battery on top tube and not look so freakish.

I might redo that 20 mph with the 240W charger sometimes. That result looks really low. If you take the 160W results and scale it to the 20 mph 240W charger then range is 111 miles. Hmm, either that or this watt meter is s**t.

Attachments

• Results.jpg
    Results.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I think over 250 mpg is some very tasty results. Maybe you can toss a second generator on the other side and get a second charger lol. Lightest locomotive ever.

I think over 250 mpg is some very tasty results. Maybe you can toss a second generator on the other side and get a second charger lol. Lightest locomotive ever.

I am getting some very skewed results due to the wind. No more generators this thing is pretty heavy, :ROFLMAO: , and not near capacity yet (240W / 800W). I will try the 420W charger next and hope that will be the last. It will be good because it is also at half load and generator can still run in eco mode. I am trying to hit 20-25 mph for 100 miles continuous.

Attachments

• Results.jpg
    Results.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 294
72V5A charger ordered from China. I really hope its not defective and arrives in decent time... Not sure how I will switch between the 3A (regular charge) and 5A (super charge) either than just unplugging the input and output each time but that is fine I guess since its a proof of concept. I hope the prototype would just have a switch. But that will complete the full build and it would be just time to dial in the correct speeds and charging profiles and analyze the results. Also, I think the test might have been on the wrong gear but its gonna be super rainy so no test for at least a week.

Just got an update. 420W (84V5A) charger will be here by the end of this week. I will put it on early next week and do tests. Hoping for good results! Estimated 200+ hybrid mpg and 100+ mile of range with a full battery at 22-24MPH. 😫

Hey guys. This probably concludes all the testing I hope to do on this bike. I finished the 420W testing and results are below in pic and video discussion. Initially, this was a 3 phase dev (additional battery, generator, wind cutting fairings) but I am not going to do the wind cutting fairings because this thing is enough of a cop magnet already.

Well, I think the results with the 420W charging are good. I am getting 275mpg/217mile range at 20 mph and probably like 300mpg/120mile range at 22-23mph. That is good enough for me. Keep in mind this is a proof of concept not a prototype. Here are my advantages and disadvantages that I found of this hybrid.

Advantages
- Quiet with generator compared to a 2-stroke and 4-stroke at operating rpm with 420W. Silent in stealth mode (battery only)
- Infinite range if you are willing to wait a little for the bike to charge with the 420W charger
- Cruising speed of 20-22 mph
- Incredibly low vibrations (not optimized); you dont feel it at all
- Bike can still flip and wheelie even with 25lb generator; near instant torque off the line
- Generator is incredibly reliable and well built for $150 (no futzing around with bolts and nuts just oil change)

Disadvantages
- Generator is heavy; iffy going super fast with that added weight unbalanced (prototype will have generator inline in frame)
- Noise over electric. While still quiet relative to 2 and 4-stroke bikes, I love to have it be absolutely silent. Still gotta work on your suggestions from other thread about quieting it down
- Annoying to have to pull start the generator versus a simple switch for electric...
- You are a walking carnival. People stare and gawk; half the time I feel like they are calling the cops in their car LOL

Its been fun. Now, I will go cross the state 200-300 miles after tidying it up. I dunno if I want to do prototype. Main key points of prototype will be 1. inline generator, 2. plug and play rear hub motors (500-5000W compatible), 3. generic branded battery management system (36-72V can switch ez), and fat tire motorbike look all the way bebe! :love:

EDIT: Note starting voltage is charging voltage so actual starting voltage is like 79.2-79.5V so in the case of 15mph I gained 1.5V, which means it charges and powers bike. At 20mph, it is breakeven or +0.5V as expected 420W = 20mph for me. At 23-24mph, I lose 1V for 3mile.

Attachments

• Results.jpg
    Results.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Think its ready for a long trip yet? You can always put a jerry can on the right side of the bike for spare fuel, and to counter the weight of the engine.

Think its ready for a long trip yet? You can always put a jerry can on the right side of the bike for spare fuel, and to counter the weight of the engine.

Aye, she is ready for a long ride. I did reverse the generator so now I have to start it off the bike so the cam straps are too encumbersome to use repeatedly so I got some heavy duty bungee cords. Gotta test that out first and change oil then I am good to go. I do have to fix the wiring for the two attached chargers 240 and 420 so its easier to switch between the two but that will be later next week. Finally, I need to water proof it and at the same time "pimping" it out by putting a tight faux leather wrap on it.

But, this Sunday or Monday I will go on a like 40-60 mile ride nothing too far but something a pure electric bike cannot do at speeds (okay, not without a 2k battery). It is strange I do like pedaling sometimes so 240W is a pedal mode and 420W is pure throttle (cant pedal since it will charge battery too fast).

Before I do the ~300 across SE Wisconsin trip I will need to change brake pads and switch my tubes to that Huffy No-Wheel Remove tube and learn how to change that.

This is so damn amazing. Please do a video of your trip. Even if you just mute the video. I want to see it go. :)

Thanks, I want to try to do a long run tomorrow 40-60 miles but I am in constant pain and need to get it taken care of. I did make a quick run today to the store like 10 miles and ended up with more voltage when I got back. Its a 20-22 mph cruise bike and in city with stop lights you can really speed it up hills and hit faster speeds as at the red lights that power just gets put back into the battery. I really like it so far.

Back