72V 3000W Cyclone Electric and Gas Generator Build (SBP kit) - Three Phase Dev

Furry you are right about the serial hybrid nomenclature. Real world terms its a range extender hybrid but serial hybrid also works.

Quick update, the bike is great and super reliable. I am extremely pleased with it and proud of building it. That being said, it feels a bit slow now... My current gearing is 33 mph top which I go at all the time. But, been watching Electric Race Technologies (ERT) and his LR Big Block motor setup (6kW) with top speed like 60. Man I want that... I mean top is 60 but cruise is like 33-40. I want to couple this with LTO batteries 72V 30-40aH (2-3kWh) and an onboard 1.5-2kW quick charger. It is going to be a beast; I mean the LTO batteries will be like 75lbs.

Problem is getting the LTO batteries at a reasonable price, will need two chargers in parallel to split the socket load to not trip breakers, and getting all that in an enduro frame and above. No generator this time; all electric. Also, probably want to licence it...

Here is Alan? ERT speed run and bike walk around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0PZPs9hI20&t=0s

Bakaneko,
Buddy, it has been a while since you got on my radar and you have been busy. I was showing my wife what you have built and mind you she is not an engineer but when I described your build to her she expressed pleasure and admiration of what you achieved. It is good to hear from you. My Flyer had some teething issues literally and it has been a labor to resolve. I am on vacation this week and expect to complete all necessary adjustments and get some riding in.
Tom from Rubicon

Bakaneko,
Buddy, it has been a while since you got on my radar and you have been busy. I was showing my wife what you have built and mind you she is not an engineer but when I described your build to her she expressed pleasure and admiration of what you achieved. It is good to hear from you. My Flyer had some teething issues literally and it has been a labor to resolve. I am on vacation this week and expect to complete all necessary adjustments and get some riding in.
Tom from Rubicon

For sure Tom, I can head up there with the bike sometime and we can grab a burger or something. There is a slight surging issue with my bike at certain RPMs but otherwise its been good.

So, now that you have been riding it around for a while, do you have long term average mpg? I'm thinking about making a build if I can ride past regular gas bikes, and maybe even hybrid cars.

My riding has gotten a bit more aggressive lately; before i was doing like 20-25mph now im at like 27-31mph so that changes the average mpg a bit. The break even point where the gas generator provides most of the energy for a light rider is 20mph so 17-20mph or 420W (note I only use 50% of generator power for engine health).

At this level, the mpg is like 150-200. At my current 27-31mph, I use about 1V for 4 miles which gives me a range of 45-50 miles of hard riding (82V to 70V resting). I am not sure what the mpg calculates out here as what exactly is MPG defined as in this point???. But, at these speeds, I will need to stop and let it charge up. But, if you slow down to ~20 mph you can go like 100 miles (82V to 70V).

The only issue I have had with the generator is that the pull cord rod retract apparatus got worn a bit so it would not catch on the flywheel step; I simply cut off about .200 from the plastic casing which moved the worn pull cord rod .200 closer and its all good now. That's it.

So, the generator I got on sale for $150 and then like $20 in mounting materials. This is $170 to get the same performance from batteries would be like $400-500. Both are as reliable imo. But those batteries would be like 4-5x as heavy but also no noise.

That being said, I think this is definitely a viable option with amazing stealth flexibility and reliability. I think a budget build would be 1kW hub, 48V 12-15aH battery, 800W generator, 420W charger/constant power source. This would be like $150+$250+$150+$50 = $600 without the bike or materials (since many of you have these already). With the hub motor, you should have literally no issues with the setup short or long term. Of course, this is like 3-4x the cost of a good 2 stroke kit and 2-3x of a 4-stroke kit. Probably ideal for those already with an DIY electric bike looking for more range and flexibility. But, I dunno a fresh build might be worth it in terms of stealth and reliability. You will need a cruiser frame to do this though; no way you fit this in a mountain bike unless its the straight top tube with big inframe triangle (mebe).

Of course, I am thinking of playing full electric next build with legit self made motorcycle registration (6kW motor + 3kWh of LTO batteries + onboard supercharger). This bike should do 60mph so close to a 125cc bike and LTO is like 10k cycles and high discharge/charge. Even if I do this, no way I will break down the current hybrid; I really like it and its a great convo/proof out piece.

No, yeah, I try to avoid streets with a lot of ruts and lines because no suspension. I might try the cheap $10-20 chinese spring seat post suspension because I am a light rider. Maybe, the tolerance will work for me. If I do the 6kW build, I will start with one of those ebike enduro frames that I can put front and rear suspension on.

Also, this is a $15 action camera with no image stabilization. That might be some of it too.

Last edited:
I added a suntour xcm suspension fork with a 1" threaded headset after crashing from bumpy roads that threw me off course in turns (I originally tried to fix it with a junkyard folding bike suspension fork, it flexed back every time I hit the brakes, no good). A proper suspension fork helps tons, most of the shock to the bike on bumps or dips is to the front wheel. You'll find the ride so much more enjoyably with front suspension.
I would avoid the springer forks of any type, the single or double spring. I see in your videos that you like to lean, you'll find a twist with springer forks that is very unsettling.

Last edited:
Back