79cc harbor freight? Or 212cc

butre, what do you think of this. keep in mind we still gotta figure out solid mounting and gear ratio if this works and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. if we place another sprocket above and slightly to the right of the drive sprocket/clutch sprocket, only utilize the downward force of the clutch sprocket, and then drive this to the free wheel, we can utilize the right directional force to drive the free wheel sprocket CCW with a CW clutch sprocket. hopefully, i didn't goof up the directional force here...
it would work. would have to go chain drive instead of belt, and you'd have to pay a lot of attention to chain tension, but it would work.

Frankenstein, I can get you some measurements in the morning. I've got one on my back porch that's got all the bits removed, just a bare engine with no carb, fuel tank, exhaust pipe, shroud, etc. it was going to be put into a bike about 2 years ago but the frame I bought had clearance issues and my welder back then had broken.

If you want in between power you could try using a lifan 4hp 118cc although I don't know what the mounting pattern is and there aren't kits for that engine I think it's a copy of a gx120. The 79cc transmissions could work you'd just have to get a bigger clutch since the lifan shaft is bigger diameter.

hi. i really don't understand where they are getting the 2.5 hp from. they advertised the max power in metric as 1.5KW which is ~2hp. since this is an Asian motor and from my experience, I feel 1.5KW or ~2HP is more sensible.

Max Power(kw/r/min)
1.5 KW / 2.5 HP / 6800

also, the 3 hp for the 79cc predator is the governed hp. many people remove the governer to get beyond the 3600 max rpm. another good thing about the predator is that the clutch shoe comes with different springs so you can tailor the rpm you want to engage the transmission at.

the bad thing is that you need to make or buy a throttle hook up.

if you were to go the harbor freight route, i think you should keep your old bike and build on a new bike. ive seen the 79cc on regular bikes but you need to remove the tank, muffler, and possible the carb and replace them with racing/go-cart ones.

ORIGINAL POSTER- ..have you considered a Briggs or Tecumseh flathead motor? They're available in 3-4hp (easy to get more by uncorking their exhausts) and their profiles better-fit the opening inside of a typical bike frame. You can jump on CL and find them on old edgers for pretty cheap. Most can use centrifugal clutches, some, if you're lucky, can use the TAV2 CVT, which does double-duty as a clutch and a step-down jackshaft.

You have a Nel Lusso Bicycle, which is a pretty tight frame for anything beyond the typical 2-stroke or 4-stroke kit. Maybe beef-up the rear rack and mount the motor of your choice there? I butchered an old mountain-bike years ago for a workable solution, I just had a heck of a time welding on the frame-tubes!
20031206-007.jpg
000_0066.jpg

Also, from my experience of having a 4-stroke kit like yours... those stock mufflers are RESTRICTIVE and choke the little motors pretty good. To keep from having to spend $$ on a new engine, try modifying the exhaust with maybe a less restrictive muffler? I tried unbolting the baffle from the stock one, and while it woke the little motor up, it's too loud, so I'm going to look into a better muffler.

Back