motormike777

Local time
12:49 AM
Got the bike put together. No start.

I'm afraid I could have messed up the timing when I removed the governor.

Basically I was spinning the motor and the cam gear was lifted up enough to not spin the drive gear... I aligned the timing marks not really knowing how long that gear was popped up...I thought I had a general Idea but the more I think about it.....

Every time I pulled to start it all I hear is air from the breather/ and or air filter and really no resistance to speak of in pulling the starter and no exhaust noise at all. Is this normal or am I screwed?

How would you ensure timing is right? I think I forgot to check compression stroke I can't remember

I spent waaaaaaaaaay too much time with the piece of crap mount King's motor bikes gave me as well as cutting the bolts for the muffler adapter without a saw because they were bottoming out and stripping out the adapter which is 5 dollars cheaper on the same website if you don't buy it as an add-on at checkout... I digress
Also, i'm assuming I hooked up the killswitch wires properly. Yellow to yellow, Green to Black? I removed the oil sensor. So i'll be homeless feb 1st. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also the drive shaft stripped with minimal effort. I thought it was just starting to get tight like you need to be but it was just starting to strip right after seating to the washer. So .Any tips for that other than new bolt and dousing in red threadlocker? Where would I go to get it re-threaded?

Still want time to move stuff to neighbor's shed...

Yes the engine switch was in the on position.

Thanks so much for your insights people. I just don't know enough about working on these things and I'm running out of time and Z's ect. ect.

Advise from someone who's been in the MAB scene for 2 1/2 years while homeless: your bike will be a target, some other homeless and even folks with a house will steal it if given a chance. Sleeping right next to it might not even work, I've had one stolen (spent $750 building that one, lasted 2 months :mad:) sleeping on a park bench with it leaning right next to me. Pick where you sleep wisely, and get a bike alarm that sounds if your bike moves an inch.

Dang. 10/4 dude I appreciate the tips.
It's still not starting. I set valve lash to .004, put a #85 jet in my nt carb. Took everything apart, checked the timing which is completely fine, tried a hooking up a spare kill switch still nothing. Although now I can hear some of the exhaust like a it want's to start since I swapped to my 2nd NT carb. And after switching from #78 jet to #85 in the 2nd nt carb I can hear less exhaust now when trying to start. Really trying to get this running tonight. I need it to.

As for the stripped out drive shaft I used a longer bolt with wider spaced and deeper threads; if you looked down the length of the bolt it's maybe just a hair wider than the original because of the threads. Shoved about 9 strands of copper in the hole, tapped the bolt with a hammer to get it started and it worked very very well. When it started to feel like it was getting slightly looser I tapped with the hammer a few more times and tightened up again no problem.

I doused it in red thread-locker.
Just trying to get on the road, even though my hilliard clutch will be arriving in a few days... I'll burn this one out first.

Anyone know the proper air gap for the magneto?? I can't find any info whatsoever!

Not giving up this fight; lost too damn much to go out like this.
Even if I have to sit in my neighbors shed and eat dry ramen and vienna sausages for a week, i'd appreciate any help you guys can give.

You may have it 180 degree off, need to lift the cam turn the crank one complete turn. Then put the cam back down, the crank turns 2 turns to the crank 1.........Curt

Thanks for the input Curt that's what I initially thought and I double checked but it turns out the magneto air gap was too small. I set to .30 and
with an NT carb at half choke with #85 jet she fired up. I'm thinking i'll be ok with that gap setting. I have not found any info about air gaps for these 79cc motors... almost time to begin my homeless expedition to another state. Need a 56t sprocket stat...

Back