8 speed shifter?

the nexus would be shredded like beef. I am doing a jackshaft setup I should be posting pictures soon of the build as I do it.

I am going to use external sprockets as they are much stronger.

Err...Looks kinda like a Rube Goldberg Machine.
Simpler is better imho.

Those that use a derailer 'n chain for gas powered multi-speeds should note that the best most above average cyclists can manage is 1/2HP. Or so I have read.

yep my main concern is the rivets that hold the cassette together however it does not bother me on the derailier at all as that will not have any substantial pressure on it as its the return side.

Will see how it does but yes I am going to use it and the way I see it is I am going to use gearing ratios to try to prevent having to do really harsh starts and so forth. The less it has to work to get it moving say 56-60 tooth sprocket the less pressure on that cogset correct? It would turn it easier?

Then when I am speeding up I can change the ratios.

SlicerDicer said:
the nexus would be shredded like beef. I am doing a jackshaft setup I should be posting pictures soon of the build as I do it.

Ok, So are you saying that you tried running a nexus in that configuration and it failed?

Ol' Pete said:
Err...Looks kinda like a Rube Goldberg Machine.
Simpler is better imho.

Those that use a derailer 'n chain for gas powered multi-speeds should note that the best most above average cyclists can manage is 1/2HP. Or so I have read.

Yeah, It does look pretty impromptu right? Also, I wonder what is meant by a 1/2 hp? Human power is at such a low rpm that its almost all torque.. If you run an engine that has something like 2hp at 6000rpm and very little torque along with a Nexus-8 mounted in a jackshaft configuration and spinning the transmission faster than you would as if it were inside the wheel would it survive? thats the big question I suppose. Is seems that this guy with the above said website has done just that.. but how far can you take it? 3hp, 4hp? Seems like an expensive experiment is the only way to really find out..

Maddaddy said:
SlicerDicer said:

Ok, So are you saying that you tried running a nexus in that configuration and it failed?

No I just know from everything I have read/heard that the nexus are designed for how do you say it... leisure riding and by doing that they are prone to failure in high demand environments such as mountain biking. So if they fail there I highly doubt they would hold up with a motor on it.

Thats a awful lot of money to shred a planetary gearbox.

Back