80 c.c runs best on half choke..whats wrong ?

Hmmm...I wonder if other people are having the same problem as I am...and cant figure out whats wrong, and are just running their engines with the choke lever about half way up ?

I guess I could try and drill out the main jet a slight bit bigger, whcih should mean more fuel getting thru the carb..correct ? That might be my only option left since I have the needle clip all the way in the bottom position and it still isnt get enough gas. If I accidnetly drill the jet a little to big, I could always raise the needle clip and lower the needle valve down again to compensate...right ?

Bummer !!
I thought you would have fixed the trouble by now.:confused:
Many kits went thu my hands and no it's not normal to run with half choke on.

It would be nice if I had that motor in front of me.
Maybe the float seat is sticking Half way not allowing all the fuel to pass.

Stupid thought.
maybe you do not have the motor centered and level .Meaning your motor is placed on the frame of the bike tilted to much one way or the other interfering with the carb bowl level.

would you happen to have a picture of your bike

Bob

im only about half way thru my 1st tank of gas. Im assuming once the engine is broken in, I would notice a significant increase power/ top speed ? I weigh 235 lbs and it seems like the most this engine is doing is about 15 mph when I give full throttle and then back off . { I dont break in my engines with just giving 1/4 throttle for the intital break in period, I beelive its best to hit all throttle positions and not stay there for more then a few seconds at a time } ..

How many tanks of gas does one usually have to go thru with these engines, before a notciebale increase in speed/power is realzied ?

I dont think you are going to notice an increase in power till you get the carb opened up, no choke. You can drill out the main jet and if you do it too large you can solder it shut and redrill. Just if you go the route only do one size at a time. Say if you have stock .026 #71 drill, go up to .028 #70 drill and then try it and try different clip settings. Did you get that link I sent you? The needle is a possibility, I have seen a few, not many but a few. You might consider contacting the vendor that sold you the engine and explain problem, maybe he would send you another carb, or at least discount one to you.

thanks for replies......my motor/ carberaeutor is level...made sure of that.....and I doubt if its the needle valve as it looks tapered and I did hit it with some emery cloth at the end to be safe....

thansk for the link....

Im thinking it has to be the main jet......of course the smallest drill bit I own is 1/16" so I guess Ill have to buy some drill bits to drill out the jet....

thanks for replies......my motor/ carberaeutor is level...made sure of that.....and I doubt if its the needle valve as it looks tapered and I did hit it with some emery cloth at the end to be safe....

thansk for the link....

Im thinking it has to be the main jet......of course the smallest drill bit I own is 1/16" so I guess Ill have to buy some drill bits to drill out the jet....

Atleast they are not all that $$.

Good luck with your Carb I hope all goes well.

Bob:)

THANKS...WILL TRYTHAT TOMMORROW..BEFORE drillinmg out the jet.....lowes is only 30 minutes away....

MAN..THIS IS GETTING FRUSTRATING....

I tryed the o ring seal in the carbereutor and even used gasket maker around the intake manifold.....it did not fix the problem....so im convinced this isnt a air leak issue around the intake ..

whats odd is that if I dont engage the clutch and just let the bike sit still, the motor will run fine with the choke lever fully pushed down in the off position and I can even give it throttle and it runs fine.......BUT....it also runs fine with the choke half on as long as the clutch is disengaged...

as soon as I engage the clutch to ride the bike, it will no longer run good with the choke fully off { but it will idle fine with the clutch engaged } .....thats when I must pull the choke lever half way up and then I can apply throttle without it bogging down...If I try to apply throttle with the clutch engaged, it bogs down

I guess my last option is to drill out my jet ?

ITS FIXED....

it was my jet....had to use my dremel tool and drilled it out twice. It now runs great with the clip lowered 1 notch on the needle valve and choke fully off...

should I drill the jet a lill bigger so I can put the clip in the middle position of the needle valve now....or doesnt it matter where that clip is ?

ITS FIXED....

it was my jet....had to use my dremel tool and drilled it out twice. It now runs great with the clip lowered 1 notch on the needle valve and choke fully off...

should I drill the jet a lill bigger

glad it's fixed!!!
IMO, no more mods or upgrades, yet. Just keep everything tight & enjoy the ride!

Back