80cc engine wont start and hasnt yet

I found it easy once I took the air filter off my carb the first time, it was obvious how it worked.

i know how to work the choke ......the plug is getting wet but it should still at least splutter even if its flooded....the slide needle is in place and back together again....i already rebuilt the carb and pushed it on all the way....it is burning a bit of petrol but it just sounds as if it is turned off. it doesnt cough or splutter it just turns over ....i think the kill switch might be faulty but i dont know?

Didn't you say that it was sparking OK? If so, that rules out the kill-switch.
(You have tested for spark?)

Not real sure what you mean by re-built the carb.

Also, just because the carb is pushed right on doesn't mean that it won't leak - in fact it probably will. Do a search on this sometime.

Even if it leaks at the inlet a bit, it should still run.

If it sparks OK, try starting at several different choke positions. That should rule out a lean mix from an inlet leak.
If it still doesn't fire, it's probably a rich mixture, for one reason or another. Are you sure the slide needle is correctly fitted? If the 'c' washer isn't holding it down, the needle can rise into the slide, enriching the mixture heaps.

... Steve

i know what way the choke goes and its getting petrol,air,compression and spark ....i think it coul be that the mag or cdi isnt strong enough to spark under compression because it does spark when out of the engine but when im trying to start it it sounds like thers no spark

Maybe drain the fuel from the bowl, and then turn your gas on from the tank just for a second to get a little fuel in the bowl and shut it back off and then try to start it? I know on one of mine, it can take quite a bit of peddaling to get it started.

i got it started today...it was a faulty cdi....but it still isnt running rite....it lacks power and struggles up hills and cuts out sometimes it could be the carb but im not sure.

patience, is a virtue.

It seems to me that my motor will not get enough power until it gets warmed up. this may take over a mile or two. After a bit my motor seems to take off and then it runs like a top, But before that it is quite sluggish and dies often. If you can get by this warm up period you will really get to like it.

Just a thought.

Mike the bike guy:D

There's many different climates in the world, I think it's just a matter of tuning the stock setup for your conditions.

Also, you will need to use some choke if its too cool outside when warming up, and turn off as it warms.. However you might not need a full on/off, you might need a subrange. Too much or too little in the wrong conditions will cause it to die often and lack power.

To me, if its running to me it really shouldnt be 'dying' while moving unless you pull the clutch in, which probably means the idle screw needs to be adjusted.

I agree, but

From the bit of riding I have done I have found that the idle seems to change over times and conditions. It is not always easy to adjust your idle every time conditions change. Like today when I went for a short ride the engine staled twice when I came to a stop sign, But I knew it was cold and about two miles later it was idling perfect. On some carbs they make a adjustment for the idle with a remote lever. Others have a barometer system built in to automatically change the adjustment, but I seriously don't think you would want to pay as much for the carb as you would for the engine.

Mike Frye the bike guy

Last edited:
Back