80cc huffy My rear wheel bearings keep tearing up

Killa_collin

Local time
2:51 AM
Hey i have a huffy cranbrook 80cc and i have gone through 2 rear wheels because my bearings and inside of hub keep tearing up i need help on what i should do buy a certain rim do something different??

Are you checking the preload on the bearings before putting the wheels on? Or just slamming them on in hopes that they are good? Your chinese made bike was put together in china with the same love and care you'd give a $5.00 hooker after a 3 day meth run. With proper lubrication and preload you shouldn't be going thru wheels like that

The stock wheels are crap, you need to replace them if you want them to last more than a few hundred miles. I don't think I've seen a walmart hub last more than 2 months of riding on one of these, and that is with me regularly adjusting and regreasing it for them since they had to save a while to afford a good wheel.

My Hyper hubs were even worse, need to tighten and regrease every 75-100 miles and that is after I converted to freewheel and removed the coaster.

Any chance there's a local community bike shop that has used coasterbrake cruiser wheels?

I'd be looking at finding an old Bendix coasterbrake rear wheel. It's going to be harder to find, but if they're in good shape they'll out live your Cranebrook. This doesn't preclude needing to regrease and replace the retainer bearings, all hubs with loose balls need this kind of maintenance schedule. Short of doing that you need to make sure your Chinese CB hubs have enough grease inside them. I'd go with Hi temp disc brake grease, and get some help getting your coasterbrake bearing adjustment correct, hub turns smoothly and freely with not cracking and (or) grinding feeling or sounds, and that the lock nuts both tight before re-installing the wheel on the bike.

Last edited:
I've had good luck buying refurbished wheels from a local bike shop. Been running one for a couple of months and other than having about 1/16in side play, it's holding up great. With these bikes I consider the wheels to be a consumable just like the tires. Hell, I've yet to have a wheel outlast a tire. Destroyed one wheel after a few months via an accidental clutch dump that spun the hub adapter and my current one is in dire need of replacing after my chain locked up at 30-35mph which, you guessed it, spun the hub adapter enough to bend the f**k out of the spokes.

Sure swapping the rear wheel every couple of months is annoying but it is nice to never worry about the bearings.

On a huffy the cones, cups and bearings all suck. All cheap material. Same goes for all the Pacific cycle bikes.

Back