80V Kobalt battery bike build

NOLA Rider

Local time
3:41 PM
I was recently given some 80V Kobalt batteries and was curious about building an e-bike. Does anyone have experience using power tool batteries on bikes? I see 72V kits but curious of other possibilities. Words of advise?

Another 6aH and you got yourself a decent commuter bike (~15-20mi @ 20mph). The only problem I see is the voltage, which I assume is 80V nominal so fully charge is it like 90V? I am not sure what economic motor/controller out there can take that voltage. The Cyclone is only 72V (84V max) nominal but the caps inside might be able to take more. You can email SBP for more detail. The Cyclone 3kW is the cheapest 3kW kit I know.

Another 6aH and you got yourself a decent commuter bike (~15-20mi @ 20mph). The only problem I see is the voltage, which I assume is 80V nominal so fully charge is it like 90V? I am not sure what economic motor/controller out there can take that voltage. The Cyclone is only 72V (84V max) nominal but the caps inside might be able to take more. You can email SBP for more detail. The Cyclone 3kW is the cheapest 3kW kit I know.
It's actually a 72v battery, the same way that they 40v batteries are 36v batteries.

I'm looking to use my kobalt 80v batteries. I have 2 2.5AH batteries. im really not looking to commute far distances. I have a cheap 250 w hub motor ancheer bike and its 36v battery failed. Could you link me to a budget controller controller that I could maybe just swap in (assuming it's possible)?
Thanks

My 72v ebike controller has 100v capacitors. I know a guy who has ran 88 volts on a 72v controller. But i wouldnt recommend going over 90 at all

Capacitors are good for +/- 5% and a 48 v system fully charged is actually 56v,a 60v system is 70 v, a 72 v system is 84v and an 84v system is 98v should be fine.

Could someone link a good 72v ebike controller? Will the first few results on ebay be sufficient or is there a better website/store?

Back