99% done... 196cc push trailer!

Amazing! It probably would not be a good idea to "goose it" when turned. With 5 hp, should be a rocket.

Keith

Danger of trailers

I gorilla glued the wheel to the rim.... problem fixed.

This thing chews up hills for breakfast... my HT I had to help it out to get up the hills.

A quick note of caution: Last summer I built a prototype pusher out of a pocket bike and I got way too much in a hurry and jury rigged my connection to the bike with too thin of piping. I took it out and these little bikes have gobs of torque and power and long story short;

I took it up a steep hill and the metal failed. I immediately lost power and knew something was wrong, I glimpsed back to see a pocket bike flailing in the air behind with sharp jagged edge metal headed towards my back....the throttle cable saved me from getting anything other than a scratch. The bike was so light and powerful it launched itself up and forwards toward my back! :cry: Throttle cable acted as a safety strap.

Having said that your rig looks very well put together compared to my first prototype and Im not sayin this will happen to you but I always try and pass this on to pushtrailer builders.

My future pushers will have some sort of safety strap in case of failure to prevent them from launching themselves at my back or up my butt! i dont want to be one of those guys in the emergency explaining how I got a trailer hitch stuck up my rear. :ROFLMAO:

(Notice even basic bike trailers at Walmart have these straps)

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you add a parts list and where you got them from?

The Big Bearing Store- http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/
2 5/8" Pillow Block Bearing @ $7.20 = $14.40
2 5/8" Shaft Collar @ $1.35 = $2.70
1 #35 Roller Chain @ $9.00 = $9.00

http://www.mfgsupply.com
Quan Item No. Description Price Subtotal
---- ----------- ------------------------------- -------------- ----------------
1 4-269 90" ATV Throttle Cable $6.45 $6.45

1 4-455 35 Chain 3/4" Bore Max Torque $25.99 $25.99
Clutch

1 31-8944 Deluxe Toggle Type Kill Switch $4.95 $4.95

1 AZ2084 Aluminum Mini-Sprocket 37T $13.99 $13.99
(I had to redrill holes for it)

1 4-257 7/8" Mini Bike Twist Grip $13.45 $13.45

1 8-374 4" Rear Demountable Wheel $31.39 $31.39
Assembly

1 AZ8175-16 Jackshaft 5/8" OD x 16" Length $7.39 $7.39
x 3/16" Keyway

Tractor Supply (Retail store)
No flat tire- $23.99 (needed gorilla glue to keep it from spinning on rim)
All of my fasteners came from here

Harbor Freight (Retail Store)
6.5hp horizontal shaft engine- $103.99 (used 20% off coupon to get this price)

The Frame was given to me by my brother in law- it was a pressure washer frame.

I found the square tubing on the side of the road in a trash pile (I wish it was a little thicker, it started to bend slightly when I was tightening the bolts really tight, but I think it will work fine)

The connecting pipe came from an old awning that I cut apart and salvaged the piping. I will probably add another pipe or two for strength.

Amazing! It probably would not be a good idea to "goose it" when turned. With 5 hp, should be a rocket.

Keith

It has 6.5 hp stock (@ 3600 RPM)... around 8ft/lbs of torque.

I removed the Rev limiter and I hear it safetly revs to 5200RPM... Probably around 8-9HP @ 5200RPM. I am guessing that removing the air filter cover will free up some more HP too.

That engine is a beast.

hey macarollo....nice job. I like the compactness and clean look of your rig. You mentioned it might take a bit of tweaking. Thought I would relate one of my experiences to help you in that direction. Most of my pushers have been single wheeled, so I used the axle hitch idea I shamelessly stole from Yakima, but as my trailers got bigger and heavier I decided to go with a two wheel variety for stability. On my first one I used the piece from the rear carrier as my hitch point as you did. I intended to put in a swivel for vertical articulation to allow for the dipsey doodles in the terrain here, but in my impatience to try it out I just welded the carrier to the hitch post instead. Well, the one inch conduit had enough flexibility to allow for the vertical articulation, and gave the added benefit of making the bike stand by itself when parked. I watched it for the first few trips, and it seemed to work fine so I forgot about my swivel idea.

Well, one day I was hauling a small diesel engine to the shop with the trailer (small as in almost 200 pounds) and the trailer broke my seat post off. After recovering from the shock of losing the trailer, I found my hemmoroids getting the massage of a lifetime from my brand new super knobby rear tire. At first this wasn't a totally unpleasant sensation, but by the time the combined stench of burning rubber and flesh reached my nostrils, the nerve endings in my rectal area were screamng for mercy. This was followed by a long walk home (my ex friends with trucks have caller ID and aren't impressed by my inventive nature) and several nights of sleeping on my stomach.

I doubt that you will put the stress on your seat post that I did, but keep an eye on it. You have a lot of power transfer there.

Good luck

Denny

picked that up in your picture

The connecting pipe came from an old awning that I cut apart and salvaged the piping. I will probably add another pipe or two for strength.

that's the part of this attractive MB trailer build
that I had thought to be looking possibly under sized (weak maybe)
didn't think that safty would be a big issue
most builders know what to watch regarding stress points

add another pipe or two for strength
maybe just one heavy duty pipe -- got to like that simple one pipe look

as you ride that thing

I thought that coffee worked

I found my hemmoroids getting the massage of a lifetime from my brand new super knobby rear tire. At first this wasn't a totally unpleasant sensation, but by the time the combined stench of burning rubber and flesh reached my nostrils, the nerve endings in my rectal area were screamng for mercy.

I thought that coffee worked as a waker upper

I fooled myself with that thought

after reading the above -- I am awake and alert for sure now !!!!

protect those things as we ride those things

Back