99 Whizzer Electrical Troubleshoot

Local time
7:36 AM
My "new to me" Whizzer came with a dead battery, which I replaced.

Just took it for a spin around the block and the lights dim when I accelerate and come back on while coasting or with the motor off.

Hi beam, low beam, rear lail light, brake light, horn all operate. Turn signals (rear only) don't.

Any suggestions on a likely culprit?

Randy

do you have a voltmeter ?

I sure like those THINGS -- and they don't cost much now days

check voltage at battery -- then start engine -- check voltage again
should be up by at least 2 or 3 volts
just a guess there -- please don't shoot me Whizzer ones

have fun as you ride that THING

If the voltage is not up is it the regulator? Relay? Stator? Loose wire?

How do I determine what needs fixing from there?

Hi Godzilla,
Did you replace with exact battery? If you remove the battery [unhook the positive battery lead] do the lights operate normally? Often the screws that hold the stator to the case become loose, and should be installed using blue Loc-tite. Most likely the regulator module is defective, but it can also be the AC/DC module. The regulator "caps" the voltage via a zener diode, and the AC/DC module switches the lights from AC to DC or DC to AC depending on the motor started or not. The output from the AC/DC relay supplies volatge via the yellow wire to the lights. Not all Whizzers use the same color wire in the harness, I have been told it depends on which color is available at the time of assembly. Most likely the yellow/black wire going into the AC/DC module is also connected to the yellow wire from the stator, and the yellow/black wire connected to the regulator module, so you can see how either the AC/DC module and the regulator module could cause the problem you are having. Make sure the 7 amp fuse is good, and the new battery isn't causing a problem. If you can't locate the problem, several on this site have the wiring diagram to assist you in your quest. If you need any parts may I suggest you purchase them through a dealer, as many are members of this site.

Have fun,

Hello Godzilla, first get a vom, Harbor Freight even sells them for as little as 3 bucks on sale.

Next measure battery voltage, this is a baseline. Then when you fire the engine you should be able to read the charging current.
If NOT then primary wiring is suspect, if so continue to what does not work.

Is the ground wire (black at battery box) clean and tight?

Yes you can fire the engine and read voltage at battery terminals to see alternator trying to charge the battery, IF the battery is VERY low, the Whizzer will not always charge it, in this case use trickle charger or motorcycle charger or "battery conditioner" if you have one. A trickle-charger can be made using a little black wall transformer that might power a walkman or something. Typically, if headlamp comes on with the key battery is in the range of the bike's abiliy to charge it.

If at anythime, you are not ready to externally charge the battery, unplug one headlight wire, and ride bike with headlight off to help charge battery.

You may be able to read the red wire (engine running wire off batt) for AC, if so regualtor should be suspect, light bulbs like AC batteries do not. Here you should also read charging voltage.

Do these things and report back with your findings and we can continue.

It would be hopeless for us to go thru the entire wiring loom if you have a bad ground or dirty connections.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

Will do a little diagnosing this weekend.

Actually in a way, I'm glad there is a problem or two at the start. Already have had to remove and replace the rear wheel, tighten the belts, and now hunting for an electrical glitch are serving me well in familiarizing myself with this beast.

Although a ride across the desert on a glorious day like today would be a whole lot better.

I did get a copy of the wiring diagram. Wish I had the rest of the manual. I don't know why Whizzer doesn't just put it online as a PDF.

Thanks again!

Randy

Couldn't even get it to start with the new battery after that first test run. Rear belt was also loose. Tightened the belt and took the battery out. Started right up. So I blew off the diagnostics and went for a good long ride.

Man, this thing is freaking awesome. Took on some hills and was able to accelerate uphill. Cruised along nice in town at the suggested 20 mph. Really nice sound to this engine.

I noticed that without the battery, the headlight and taillight were working well. Then all of a sudden, they weren't. A few minutes later, they were on again.

I'll dig up a voltmeter and check some possibilities. Might not be till after Christmas. I'm sure I'll get back out on the road in the meantime.

Randy

Back