9v lighting system solution.

Frankenstein

Deceased - Frankenstein 1991 - 2018
Local time
10:15 PM
Where the TV show forensic files is produced.
So there are plenty of 6 and 12 volt lighting systems out there but rarely I see a 9 volt system being used, which is odd since many 12v light strips can be used on a 9v without major issue, and 9v batteries are rather easy to get and have pretty good amounts of power to offer for the compact size.

Many simple light up things can be used with a 9v battery since they operate on a lower voltage, just use a resistor or power regulator/converter.

I have a 4.5v (3 aa batteries at 1.5v a piece) decorative light up thing, has leds. I could hook it up with a power converter to a 9v battery, it's a rechargeable li-ion battery too. I can even omit my converter and use the battery to directly power it, it's twice the voltage so it can be twice as bright or I can use it for twice as long at normal brightness.

The color of the led has a lot to do with the battery life as well, white and blue use the most power generally speaking while the the reds and amber/yellow use less. If you want to get better life from the battery try choosing colors that run lower power. In theory using a low power consumption led and doubling the voltage should give you a very bright led that would run as long as a normal brightness blue or white led.

You can find batteries online and in the store but pick carefully, not all batteries are the same. Some are indicated to what type of light they should be used with as according to the draw of the led. Often this is indicated by the color of the battery label, which indicates the power frequency they work best with. You should be able to use a blue or white battery with a lower powered red or yellow led without a problem since it's rated at a stronger power consumption level than the led. I however find that the black and yellow branded 9 volt batteries work better since the hertz rate works better with black and yellow leds, which is a popular color combination.

You can also find converters with black and yellow output wires that convert the electric current over to the yellow and black wavelengths.

You can convert the wavelengths without a special converter. Just use the appropriate red or black or yellow wire with the appropriate resistor (the colored bands on the resistor indicate its color frequency compatibility, use red for a red powerband, or green or whatever) and hook it up accordingly. Mind you if you use the wrong resistor you might end up resisting all color wavelengths and the led won't light up, you'll need to use a lighter shade of powerbands if this happens. You might not use enough resistance which can confuse your led module and cause it to burn out from too much unregulated color frequency voltages.

Sometimes changing the color of the object that's holding the led can help, as it will absorb the excess color wavelengths instead of allowing the led to take the full blast. If this is not practical then using a spray paint in the opposite color of the frequency voltage you think is causing the problem to paint over the leds and connection wires could help by filtering out the bad light.

Don't use too much as it can end up blocking the light being emitted by the led and that would be pointless. If you are having trouble figuring out what color frequency is causing the problem then you might need to do a coat of paint in every color except the color you are trying to let the led to show, this could cause problems of you are using a multicolored led as it could accidentally filter out all the voltage colors (like a red and blue filter filter red and blue and purple and some of the color green and some of the color orange , leaving you with a yellow color that can't operate alone in an led designed for green or orange light) and leave you with appears to be a dead led.

You can always convert over to an ac system using an inverter, which could be a problem since it adds more weight and takes up more room, but the advantage is you can hook the leds backwards which solves many problems since it tricks the led into thinking its receiving color voltages it isn't by sending the frequency in backwards, the led can only assume it's getting the right color half the time and will light up accordingly.

Last edited:
Back